1.9 tdi 130 no power when cold

Ian2012

Reaction score
I have posted this in the A3 8 L section but i as this engine crosses into B6 would your advice too. Basically when the car is stone cold it has no real power like the turbo isn't working, then after 2 or 3 miles bang it's all ok, no codes at all vcds?

What gives?

Thanks
Ian

could be the oil viscosity been too thick not allowing the turbo to spool up properly

mine is a bit sluggish for a mile or so if its really cold

have you got the right grade of oil in too?

Don't know to be honest it's due a service now and i have only just bought it, my other 1.9 engined car doesn't suffer from this!

Give it a service and see what its like after it

To be fair engines need nursing from cold, I wouldnt be trying to make any real power before it has warmed up.
On my old Ibiza Cupra (1.8T) boost and fueling was limited before it hit a certain temperature - it may be the same case here?

Interesting idea i will see what it's like today, i am going to try Mr Muscle turbo clean as well to see if that will make any difference.

I would give it a full service and also change the fuel filter

mine is a bit like this sometimes. only had it a few weeks so though it was normal. but as it's been frosty for the last few mornings i start it 5 mins before i need to leave and it's been fine. :)

My B6 is similar, when it's totally cold in the morning shifting gears is also a bit stiff so just drive gently for a while until the engine has had a little stretch. But I would suggest maybe you check your engine oil have you had a recent oil service or anything or has this problem just started?

I have only just bought it, i will give it a full service tomorrow see what happens then

The Mr Muscle clean has so far sorted this problem out, it was a symptom of the sticky turbo vanes

Reactions: TwedA4
nice one! i may have to do this too... i've noticed mine is a bit sluggish even when warm, other times it's off like a rocket!