Black polish

I found that autoglym ultra deep shine was really good. And top it off with two coats of autoglym HD wax for a really good deep shine.

In my experience Autoglym HD is terrible for black! There is no depth to it at all, it leaves a very shallow synthetic finish.

Angelwax Dark Angel is by far and away the best colour charged black wax I have ever used.

And I've had black Audi's for years and years and years.

1380345_1426424427572734_1860406160_n.jpg

That's paint depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: PilotAudi and A4 TC
tried angelwax a while ago and its a ******* if you apply too much , has to be used very very sparingly

tried angelwax a while ago and its a ******* if you apply too much , has to be used very very sparingly

Best applied with your palms, the heat helps the wax break down quicker and gives a more even spread.

If using a pad to apply use the windows to make sure you don't cake it, a quick smear on the window will check the pad isn't over loaded.

In my experience Autoglym HD is terrible for black! There is no depth to it at all, it leaves a very shallow synthetic finish.

Angelwax Dark Angel is by far and away the best colour charged black wax I have ever used.

And I've had black Audi's for years and years and years.

1380345_1426424427572734_1860406160_n.jpg

That's paint depth.

this is my friends ED30, just after a paint correction and finished with AG HD wax, i agree it isn't the best wax within it's price range but i feel it gives good results, decent depth and clarity.

off the shelf something like autoglym Super resin polish would be good for the job. or if you dont mind ordering online Autobrite direct do a good polish called "Cherry Glaze" dont be fooled though it is a polish and not a glaze. it contains very minor abraisives which work well by machine but gives a good gloss by hand too. It's my go to polish when detailing other folks cars

even poor boys black hole isnt a polish.

not necessarily, Theres two waxes i use and i tend to go in quite heavy with them, and still come off no problem as long as theyre left to cure for the right amount of time.
Both Autosmart WAX and FK1000 come away no problem

another good polish by hand if you can get your hands on it is Autosmart Platinum polish or mirror image, mirror image has slightly heavier abraisives than platinum and aimed at slightly older paint

I have used Poor Boys Black Hole Glaze, then there EX Sealant, topped off with Poor Boys Natty Blue Paste Wax.
Black Hole Glaze is recommended for dark coloured cars.
I have not used it on my Audi yet though I will but here is a pic sorry because its my Merc and it not black, but gives you some idea of the finish I got.

+1 for poor boys black hole + EX-P sealant.
I use with Harley's carnauba wax.

Works well on my Ming blue A4.

not saying black hole is a bad product, i use it myself. BUT it is a show glaze and not a polish. it has very little durability on its own, maybe only a couple of days. a sealant on top would help though.

Basic fundemental wax applying error there then............any wax if applied too much will be ****** hard to get off....not just AW.

funny that i dont seem to have the problem when i apply either collonite 915 or chemical guys black pearl in the same amount
and they come off easilly

Asda's cheap crap for me :whistle2: but what do I know, maybe this thread should be in the detailing section for better debate.

**** me. The B6 section is full of some right weirdos...

Reactions: S4_dan, Brodster and DieselJake
Its a common mistake to make..........slapping loads of wax on and yes I have Colly 915 and yes you can slap it on in mounds and yes you can buff it off - Colly is cheap n cheerful and is normally a Winter wax. Its got a totally different composition to Dark Angel. Black Hole is good for what it is and is full of fillers.........but in my game that defeats the object of detailing a car......wouldn't you say? Applying a filler wax just to cover the scratches......no thanks.

I have numerous very good waxes and all of them have to applied sparingly.........if not then you'll struggle to get it off and a thin layer is all you need along with 2-3 coats max.

the angelwax i used smelt like cheap chemical chocolate if that makes sense
i only had a panel pot and managed to do halve the car with it ... then realised what an absolute ***** it is to get it off
the wax lasts a decent of amount of time , applies fairly easy , but doesn't come off easy

Well then you clearly left it on too long. Leave it on a panel for 2-3 mins max. Comes off very easily. I've done 4 cars now with it.

i only had a panel pot and managed to do halve the car with it ... then realised what an absolute ***** it is to get it off
the wax lasts a decent of amount of time , applies fairly easy , but doesn't come off easy

Wow.

You should be able to at least wax the whole car and then buff off.

The longer its left to cure the better the chance is for the wax to bond, if its not cured properly then youre just buffing off what youve put on leaving very little on the paint.

same with doing coats of wax, the paint can only hold so much wax so doing 5 coats is just wasting. 2 is the optimum

that purely depends on the wax.... some you need to only leave for a few minutes then buff off.

not all waxes are the same ;-)

Reactions: Brodster

I can honestly state that you are the 1st person I have heard of that has had any problems in buffing off this wax. 9 times out of 10 it is operator error as in the panel hasn't been prepped properly, weather is too cold, weather is too hot etc etc. And the DA is one of the easiest waxes by AW to work with (trust me as I have all of them as I trialed and tested alot of them)

Theres gotta be a logical explanation to this as you are as I said the 1st.

Autosmart Wax i could leave on the car for 3 or 4 hours and it would come off just as easy as after 15 mins

Yep all depends on the chemical compositon of the wax and the active ingredients. Thats why its imperative to monitor the temperature when waxing as too hot or too cold will alter the way the wax goes off (as in turns to a haze)

what would be the optimum temperature then? speaking from a completely new persons point of view, Ive always used autoglym super resin polish and was quite chuffed as it also brings the chrome up to but will probably give something else a go if its better. My cars metallic silver though so i dought the black stuff would suit

it was april time and at night , wax was allowed to cure for over an hour before trying to buff and remove
car was cleaned then clayed .... cleaned again to remove residue ... mezerna polish of varying grades ... isopropanol to remove residue
dodo lime prime followed by poorboys black hole glaze and finally angelwax chocololate
im not a professional but it took me two full days to get to this stage i dont cut corners

if im doing something wrong by all means please tell me
im not out to slate anyone's products or reputation ... my opinion is the wax has to be put on very sparingly or it is an absolute nightmare to get off the car
when sold the wax by the makers (think they were 2 brothers from Scotland ) i was told it was easy to apply and was easy to remove

they got the first bit right

a friend of mine who has an a8 bought a different wax and had a similar problem with one in a silver can ??? he went back to nattys wax paste afterwards

id say doo doo juice purple haze ;-) or if you can afford it get some swissvax ... our cars are immaculately looked after and sorry but add another one to the angel wax, chris bought some after the car was mopped and really up to scratch and it was the worse stuff we have ever bought and used... its silver and going free to a good home if anyone wants it !!!!!