cant remove rear wiper.

TwedA4

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been investigating why my rear wiper wont work and turns out there's a chunk of motor missing!! lol

IMAG0515_zps1b82153c.jpg

Tried taking the wiper arm off but it's well and truly stuck! the 13mm nut took some shifting with a big ratchet, but cant for the life of me get the arm off. i tried screw drivers in behid it and gripping it with a pipe wrench butthis thing is stuck!! I'm not bothered about damaging it as it's damaged anyway but dont want to hurt the car or glass...

Anyone know how to pull it off without causing damage?

cheers. :)

Go to a local screen place or buy a 2 leg puller.

See my post in this thread - http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b7-chassis/195714-wiper-arms-seized-onto-spindle.html - that said, when I had to replace the rear arm recently, there was no way the thing was coming off, and that was one put on about a year ago when I replaced the motor.

As the thing was broken anyway, I just ripped it off, leaving the metal insert stuck on the spindle. A nut splitter removed that in seconds. Or, a Dremel would do it too of course.

The problem is that the metal insert is a soft alloy so that it can cut it's own thread on the spindle. A few years of electrolytic corrosion and that's that. The replacement got Coppaslipped!

Yeah, I bet the motor was missing as it's a common fault. The washer jet passes through the motor and often leaks causing it to short out. After 2 years of ownership I fixed my non-working squirter only to have that break my motor lol. The wiper then kept wiping so disconnected it for now. I'll fix the motor up at some point hopefully.

I had to cut my arm off with a dremel though as that also needed replacing. I copperslipped it up, but not convinced it'll work. Hopefully I won't have to change the arm again though.

thanks for the tips guys. i thought i'd need some sort of puller but i didnt know something like that was available. i'll see im my slide hammer fits over it first lol.

and thanks for the heads up mike_b. i'll put some copper grease on it when i replace it. :)

The motor for golf/passat and A4 should be a straight replacement.
Mine seized up about 3 years ago (B5) and I got a replacement from the scrap yard, just had to clean up the washer jet. Works great, was only about £15 with 3 month warranty

in the end i had to use a wee hacksaw blade and take it easy and it come off. bit of a fiddly job like.

put the new one on with a bit copper grease but when i use it now, it pees inside the car when i squirt the washer! lol