Chris NottAH Fabrications
    Fire up the Quattro!

Status

V6 Startings Issues after belt change.....

Hi I had the belts change on my V6 last monday by a local Garage. They have worked on Audi's before and regularly do belts on Police Audi vehicles.

Anyway, picked the car up Monday evening and all was fine. Tuesday morning the wife went to start it and she took a few turns before firing which it has never done since me owning it. Tues Lunch it was the same she said. I drove it Tuesday evening and it was fine every time I started it.

Wednesday it started fine first thing in cold/frosty temps but at lunchtime & evenings it takes a wee while cranking before firing. And same goes for Thurs and Friday.

I initially thought it may be air in the fuel lines if they had disturbed the fuel system somehow. I know they depleted my Aircon system and re-gassed after changing the belts.

I only have VCDS Lite (Activated) with an eBay lead so I can't get the TDI-Graph function. And the numbers are all gobble-de-gook to me!

Any pointers please?

I've not looked under the bonnet as yet, but have had VCDS scan and nothing shows up for DTC's.

Dan
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro
    Mods Done: Q5 Rear aero wiper. Front ambient light install. Led number plate lens. Towbar with 13pin electrics.
    Mods to complete: Sport shocks to go with Eibach pro springs. Fit 17" 5 star matt black wheels. Fix lack of torque at low revs. Get a custom exhaust system fitted.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Fire up the Quattro!

Status
    Oh, the wife also said that on THursday lunchtime, the engine ran rough for a very short time after starting with black smoke from the exhausts. It has never smoked a lot this car which surprises me to be honest.

However, the car is due a service in 300 miles so I will do that next weekend.
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro
    Mods Done: Q5 Rear aero wiper. Front ambient light install. Led number plate lens. Towbar with 13pin electrics.
    Mods to complete: Sport shocks to go with Eibach pro springs. Fit 17" 5 star matt black wheels. Fix lack of torque at low revs. Get a custom exhaust system fitted.

6th Gear

Status
    Yes,the garage of your choice used the "mark and pray" method so either the crank/cam timing is wrong or the pump is either too retarded or too advanced hence it takes a while to start then the electronics take over...Could also be a battery on it's last legs but it would not account for smoke and rattles...
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

Fire up the Quattro!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by adamss24 View Post
    Yes,the garage of your choice used the "mark and pray" method so either the crank/cam timing is wrong or the pump is either too retarded or too advanced hence it takes a while to start then the electronics take over...Could also be a battery on it's last legs but it would not account for smoke and rattles...
    Even if the the starting is random? Sometimes fires first times straight away, other not so quickly. The smoke has only happened once. The car is used 4 or 5 times a day. Performance hasn't changed (or at least feels like it hasn't)

I have thought about the battery being weak, will get a drop test done on it for peace of mind.

Why do you have to live so far away Chris!!! lol
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Does sound like fuel pump timing, the irregularity is probably down to other factors such as temperature etc.

The fact it has only been like it since the belt change is the telling point really.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

Fire up the Quattro!

Status
    Is there anyway of adjusting it without TDI-Graph?
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S4_dan View Post
    Is there anyway of adjusting it without TDI-Graph?
    Not really, its pretty precise.