Poor starting tdi 130

leigh72

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a 2002 tdi 130 (103000miles), normally it's a really good starter - as soon as the key is turned. However over the past month it's taking longer to start from warm, sometimes it's takes 3 or 4 seconds with it occasionally taking a few go's of turning the key. It's regularly serviced and had just had new filters , and the only fault code that is coming up is for an engine mount sensor. Other suggestions by friends are injectors and pump clearances. I'm going to fill up at a different forecourt and add injector cleaner to see if that makes any difference.
I have done a search but it hasn't brought up anything with the same symptoms. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Leigh

Car battery with the weather getting colder and also possibly dead glowplugs. I had three of mine die and the battery was also weak and had similar symptoms last autumn.

All replaced and started strong and quickly

A minimum of 250rpm is needed to start a PD engine, so its worth jump starting off another battery, & if it starts normally then your battery is getting tired.

Thanks for the ideas, will try jump starting it next time (had a new bosh battery about 2years ago as well) if that fails will check the glow plugs.

flick your headlights on before starting and see if that changes anything

the switch develops a fault in the off position and causes the same problems

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried the lights and it turned out to be the cause so I'll get a replacement light switch. Glad it's nothing more expensive/ time consuming. Cheers.

lol wait till you see the price of a genuine switch!!

have look on here for the ebay ones they are only about £20

Just an update, fitted a replacement headlight switch in early December, and everything has been perfect since, so thanks for the replies:icon_thumright: