EM TuningChris Nott
    Neutral

Status

Unhappy Heated mirrors issue (after searching forum) help please

02 1.9TDi SE quattro

Evening.
    after the recent cold weather i've realised my mirrors arent heated - not impressed.
    so, i searched the forum wondering if anyone had upgraded - I find messages that say the wiring is there and it works with the heated rear window, so i pop the passenger mirror off, and theres the wiring! brilliant!

so while i'm considering a trip to wakefield audi to buy the mirrors i decide to plug a meter into the wires to check the voltage...

so heres my problem, no power! i press the heated rear window button but no voltage. aaargh!

i check the wiring diagrams in the haynes book and the wires seems to go into a door control module.

i actually thought this was gonna be an easy upgrade but i dunno where to go from here. i cant find fuse slots that might be missing fuses - the heated window is definitely working

anyone any ideas to point me in the right direction? help?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    I think they only work below a certain temperature, 7c rings a bell?
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    I think they only work below a certain temperature, 7c rings a bell?
    ok, that gives me hope. it was going dark as i was checking and dont remember temp. i'll check again when its colder. cheers!

1st Gear

Status
    I looked at this last winter, exactly same set up as yours but unfortunately didn't get a reading on the meter even below freezing. Would be interested to hear how you get on.

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    I bought the mirrors, fitted them and they work a treat, i have read before that it can be hit and miss as to whether they work.
    2.5tdi Avant Q S 180 - 19" RS6 reps - chrome mirrors - ambient light package - cruise and dis retrofit - chrome side repeaters - front sline lowr conversion with cupra r splitter - rear lower valance with twin cut outs and exhaust tips - rs4 rear antiroll bar - puddle and footwell lights - sline door blades - fully colour coded - b8 autodimming mirror on custom window adapter - geuine aero wiper upgrade - genuine heated mirror upgrade

3rd Gear

Status
    I got a pair of genuine ones on ebay ages ago. I believe genuine ones work and some cheap ones are hit and miss. Considering my car would have been £35k new pity Audi didn't fit them as standard mind !
    2003 A4 Cab 2.4 V6 Manual / 43k miles genuine woohoo (on a 10 year old car lol) / Ebony Black Metallic / Full Grey Leather / Fully Electric Seats / Heated Seats / Interior Light Pack / Cruise / Wood / Bose Symphony II / Black roof

Chocolate? It's doo-doo, baby!

Status
    I believe it's the windscreen demist button, not the rear window button that activates the heated mirrors.
    Audi S4 Avant (B6, 2004) in Goodwood Green.

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Nah it's definitely the heated rear screen (unless mine's wired wrong lol)
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

1st Gear

Status
    Juniper Green, Edinburgh, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    As above.

4th Gear

Status
    Why are they temp sensitive on Audis?I have found it helpful if the mirrors demist when I go to reverse off the drive on a damp day.Qthers are always on with the rear demister

1st Gear

Status
    How do you check if the wiring is to the door mirror and if it is cant you just replace the glass with heated ones?

Chocolate? It's doo-doo, baby!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    Nah it's definitely the heated rear screen (unless mine's wired wrong lol)
    Oh yeah: HEATED Mirrors
    Audi S4 Avant (B6, 2004) in Goodwood Green.

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add GeoffDunk on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    Why are they temp sensitive on Audis?I have found it helpful if the mirrors demist when I go to reverse off the drive on a damp day.Qthers are always on with the rear demister
    I have heated mirrors on my S4, they heat at all tempratures so on a wet moring they demist even if its over 7deg. they should heat up after pressing the rear heated screen button in all weather conditions.

Some older VW's had to have the mirror switch at 12o'clock on mirror switches with the heated mirror logo, Audi don't do this.

Odly enough, my old Saab 93 Aero was all automatic. If the outside temp was below 5 degrees then when the car was started the rear demist and heated mirrors were automatically activated, you could even have the heated seats automtically come on with a tech2 setting.

Current X5 (50plate) has a heater preheater which gives you electrically created hot air on cold startup so there is instant hot air available on cold mornings, very very nice feature.

Just thougth I'd share!

Audi S4 quattro in Dolphin Grey Metallic, Silver leather, carbon inlays, RNS-E, 6 speed manual, electrically adjustable & heated seats, xenon headlights with power wash, cruise control, storage pack, 18" OEM RS4 wheels, RS4 ARB, LED lighting upgrade, FASH plus every bill since new.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffDunk View Post
    I have heated mirrors on my S4, they heat at all tempratures so on a wet moring they demist even if its over 7deg. they should heat up after pressing the rear heated screen button in all weather conditions.

Some older VW's had to have the mirror switch at 12o'clock on mirror switches with the heated mirror logo, Audi don't do this.

Odly enough, my old Saab 93 Aero was all automatic. If the outside temp was below 5 degrees then when the car was started the rear demist and heated mirrors were automatically activated, you could even have the heated seats automtically come on with a tech2 setting.

Current X5 (50plate) has a heater preheater which gives you electrically created hot air on cold startup so there is instant hot air available on cold mornings, very very nice feature.

Just thougth I'd share!
    Wonder why the A4 is different.What could be the advantage of a temp cut off?For the last few mornings I have had to wipe the mirrors and if I forget I can only reach the d/side.Luckily the drive is wide enough to cope with.I think I have auxiliary heating cos it warms up pronto but don't know if that's electrical

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    you can check by takeing the glass out and look if the wires are there
    mine come on auto undae 6c and everytime use the rear heated screen

1st Gear

Status
    I was thinking about this morning! I'm gonna have a check in the morning.
    Cheers for the heads up

1st Gear

Status
    I had all this with mine last year..
    I remember reading that with no load, ie just a multimeter, the door module will not switch the power on. Not sure how true this is..
    I bit the bullet in the end and just bought the heated glasses, the passenger side heated up but the drivers didn't.. found the problem to be the terminals where the heater wires plug into the door module were corroded, cleaned them up and it all worked fine.

They come on with the heated rear window, they definately work wit the DIS showing 13 deg..
    Mark

2001 A4 TDI 130 SE, takes me to work
    2011 Suzuki Alto SZ4, tootles the good lady around
    1992 Replica Cobra 4.6V8, makes lots of noise...
    and gives you neck ache, and isn't for sale anymore...
    1949 Ferguson TED20, moves things that I can't move
    1959 Massey Ferguson 35 TVO, thats two ticked off the list...
    Lucky the good lady likes tractors...

Neutral

Status
    it was 2.5c this morning when i tested the voltage on the wires - no voltage still.
    how would the door module know if theres a mirror plugged in to switch voltage on? im trying to justify the risk spending money on oem mirrors not knowing if they'll work...

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by whinfs View Post
    it was 2.5c this morning when i tested the voltage on the wires - no voltage still.
    how would the door module know if theres a mirror plugged in to switch voltage on? im trying to justify the risk spending money on oem mirrors not knowing if they'll work...
    If there is a load or resistance there, as the bulb warning circuitry would work, as I said don't quote me on that being the case..
    I did try connecting a 21watt indicator bulb across mine, but because of the corrosion on the terminals. Near side was fine out of interest, have you tried that side...
    Mark

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by demus View Post
    If there is a load or resistance there, as the bulb warning circuitry would work, as I said don't quote me on that being the case..
    I did try connecting a 21watt indicator bulb across mine, but because of the corrosion on the terminals. Near side was fine out of interest, have you tried that side...
    it was the passenger side i was playing with, so if i broke the glass it wasnt as important as the drivers side.
    i see youve got the same spec A4 as me, and you said yours worked with heated mirrors. how much were your mirrors? were they from audi?

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by demus View Post
    or do i get a ebay special for a tenner, one side only, to see if it'll work?

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    Get one from eBay if your going to try it but get a genuine one second hand. I've been told the copies aren't that good
    2.5tdi Avant Q S 180 - 19" RS6 reps - chrome mirrors - ambient light package - cruise and dis retrofit - chrome side repeaters - front sline lowr conversion with cupra r splitter - rear lower valance with twin cut outs and exhaust tips - rs4 rear antiroll bar - puddle and footwell lights - sline door blades - fully colour coded - b8 autodimming mirror on custom window adapter - geuine aero wiper upgrade - genuine heated mirror upgrade

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by swarcup View Post
    Get one from eBay if your going to try it but get a genuine one second hand. I've been told the copies aren't that good
    I did end up getting genuine items, the one I got from fleebay was sh*t, but some one here have found decent ones..

Heated mirror glass

Seems you pays yer money and makes yer choice..
    Mark

Neutral

Status
    so i got a mirror for drivers side, plugged it in and nothing. i tried cleaning the contacts up but im wondering if i should cut them off and renew them.
    starting to get fed up now - before the a4 i had a mingin' little rover and even that had flippin heated mirrors...