Dreaded 01318 fuel pump error.

quattrojames

Staff member
Reaction score
Car broke down today, after three hours the Recovery guy trundled out (who was very good to be fair to him - fault lied in the provider) and VCDS showed an 01318 code.

01318 - Ross-Tech Wiki

No obvious breaks in the the wires, but it was dark. Will update more tomorrow hopefully when it's been looked at.

I hate cars :sign_unfair:

Check measuring blocks 18 in engine, see if the pump electronics gets power in both fields, if it does and still does not then prepare to send the EDC for a repair or a full pump rebuild...

Reactions: dualmono21
My mates 2.5 tdi Q just had his fuel pump replaced for the same reason. Cost him £700 to get it all sorted but unsure where he went for that.

Hope you get it sorted James.

Small update, (he fits the car in when he can, suits me as I'm in no hurry and it keeps the cost down).

There is no power getting to the fuel pump in the fuel tank, Fuse is ok, a new relay is coming from TPS but won't be here till Friday - in the meantime the wiring will be checked for continuity.

As predicted it's the pump and/0r the ECU on it. A recon pump will be here earlier next week, and then it's new timing gear etc. Again. I got 25k out of the last lot, which is probably a record....

Looks like I'll be running the car till the end of time now then!

Bad news today, under further investigation it was seen the belt had skipped one tooth. Taking one rocker off and the cams were badly worn, and several followers broken etc. That degree of wear can only be indicative of low oil pressure, that combined with the probable valve damage will be the end of this engine. It's always been a bit of an unknown quantity since I bought it in similar circumstances four years ago. At this time I'll not be ploughing anymore money into the car unfortunately. More soon.

Feel your pain James. Maybe adamss24 has an engine kicking about.

Ah gutted James! Intrigued to see what's the next step for you. Another audi? Another b6? Hope you get it all sorted soon!

Oh dear, always devastating when stuff like this happens.
Been through similar myself with the 2.5 (cam wear), as I had only had the car 2 months I chose to repair at the time.

May be a good chance to use this as an opportunity for something else?

I have a few engines kicking about if you're interested. I do not understand how timing can skip a tooth, there are few moving bits in the cambelt assembly and unless the bearings in the tensioners or water pump fail there's no way it should skip ! I have done hundreds of belts and only had one fail- crappy Dayco belt which broke at the joint line !
If i was in your situation, i would buy a set of Kolbenshmidt cams and INA lifter kit and a new belt and have it fitted, mine looks like new after 60k- i have a couple of pictures i took 2 weeks ago when i upgraded injectors !
What about fitting a BDG/BDH/BAU cam roller engine ? You can fit the heads to your existing block and bomb proofing it ! I have a pair of good BDG heads of a 68k engine if you're interested, the EGR valve cooler failed on it and bent a couple of rods- i could fix the engine but it does no make financial sense- rods for these engines are very costly ! Feel for you mate !

Thanks guys, for those who aren't aware I'll quickly list the issues I've had in the past.

I bought the car with 100k in in 2007. At 128k the timing belt skipped, this was because at the 80k belt change they checked rather than replaced the idler pulley. When it disintegrated it wrecked the engine. I bought another engine for £2k ish and my local garage fitted it. After 5 days the tensioner bolt broke and it again destroyed itself. The engine company took it back and it was gone weeks, when I got the car back it wasn't running right, and the inside was filthy, wheels damaged etc. I ended up spending another £1500 locally to get it running well with new injectors etc. £4.5k later I finally had a car which ran well, but I had no idea of the history of the engine. The car now has 177k on it, and for all I know that engine is probably on double that.

I'm not going down the road of putting another engine in, been there done that. The car is worth maybe £3k absolute tops in running order. I could easily clear £1k breaking it and if I spend £2k replacing the engine (which I could easily do) there would be guarantees. What if I do that and it still needs a new fuel pump? No thanks. I think the belt has skipped because the lifters have broken and jammed the camshaft perhaps?

Chris, the engine has low oil pressure, spending £x on new cams etc isn't worth it when I suspect it's just an old and tired unit. Even with a good engine in, maybe next week the gearbox etc might go.

If and when I break it I'll let you know. I'll be buying a runabout in the mean time.

Sorry to hear the news mate and sounds like you have had a roller coaster ride with it.

Is it time to get a v8 then? ;) you know you need an s4 in your life. Or perhaps join the dark side and go to a b5...im loving mine!

Why have you got a B5? I didn't know that. If I got a B5 it would have to be higher spec and faster than Scott's which restricts choice a bit.

I have a plan, it's not that exciting. If it happens I'll post tomorrow.

Reactions: ScottD3
You might not beat his spec technically, but most of Scotts mods are pointless ;)

I bought a b5 1.8TQS James, needed a second car for work. I love it!

Here's a pic of it...

CYMERA_20131020_140757_zps03a2b2d0.jpg

Back on topic I look forward to seeing your plans tomorrow.

Reactions: Samuel c5 Q and ScottD3
sorry to hear the news james.
i just got my pump done by diesel bob.
there was a piston sticking so for mechanical refurb 380+vat
recommended new ecu 205+vat as some resistence tests were failing.
670 inc vat for the work cost, additional 25 to ship it over and 100 to remove/refit. plus a new battery from cooking the old one trying to start the car with a duff pump. so near 900 all in. not cheap at all. and 2 weeks off the road.

actually just picked car up earlier and now the blinking external fan is comming on randomly when the car is turned off...
im nearly sure i can hear a celinoid in or near the pump so cant help thinking its causing it. i was hoping it was maybe some loose connection on the front end not put together properly but as soon as you turn the key the fan stops running and you can again here the click of the pump. then starts no probs and fan stays off.

fan comes on with or without the temp sensor plugged in.. i actually replaced the sensor last year with one from tps.

sorry for hijacking the thread but has anyone ever heard of this?

baz

Thanks guys, for those who aren't aware I'll quickly list the issues I've had in the past.

I bought the car with 100k in in 2007. At 128k the timing belt skipped, this was because at the 80k belt change they checked rather than replaced the idler pulley. When it disintegrated it wrecked the engine. I bought another engine for £2k ish and my local garage fitted it. After 5 days the tensioner bolt broke and it again destroyed itself. The engine company took it back and it was gone weeks, when I got the car back it wasn't running right, and the inside was filthy, wheels damaged etc. I ended up spending another £1500 locally to get it running well with new injectors etc. £4.5k later I finally had a car which ran well, but I had no idea of the history of the engine. The car now has 177k on it, and for all I know that engine is probably on double that.

I'm not going down the road of putting another engine in, been there done that. The car is worth maybe £3k absolute tops in running order. I could easily clear £1k breaking it and if I spend £2k replacing the engine (which I could easily do) there would be guarantees. What if I do that and it still needs a new fuel pump? No thanks. I think the belt has skipped because the lifters have broken and jammed the camshaft perhaps?

Chris, the engine has low oil pressure, spending £x on new cams etc isn't worth it when I suspect it's just an old and tired unit. Even with a good engine in, maybe next week the gearbox etc might go.

If and when I break it I'll let you know. I'll be buying a runabout in the mean time.
James, if the engine had low oil pressure the oil light will be on all the time, i would replace the chain and oil pump just to be on the safe side. The usual suspect for cam wear are the 2x oil retention valves but that will manifest as a very coarse, rough idle from start up ! I think that oil quality and worn cams were to blame in your case !

OUCH, If it were mine, I'd stick a hoofing great V8 in it
Why bother when you can get the v8 s4 for not much cash nowadays ? If 9 Mpg when booting it and low 20 Mpg on a run is your thing then go for it, i do enjoy my 300 Bhp v6 diesel which still returns 40 Mpg on a run and it's not flashy either !

No, it's time to be sensible and run something economic for a while and save up some more funds.

Based on that, I got this today at a very good price. 2002 1.9TDi (fwd so we're guaranteed a snowy winter) and a name change?

When I begin to break mine I'll let you know as there will be plenty of bits available I'm sure!

Reactions: jojo, CHEZ, ScottD3 and 1 other person
Good choice ! At least you got a little more space for your money...

I do like the A6 of that age, they look smart when done well. A nice set of wheels and some lowering springs and you are away James. Correct colour too! :)

Do you plan on keeping this for the long term, or is it a stop gap car?

It's on Sport suspension so it's low enough for me, I'll put the RS6's on in a month or so when my finances have recovered and I've bought two new tyres. With my plate on no one will know it's new then :thumbsup:

It's a stop gap car to a point, but assuming I get on ok with it I'll probably keep it for a year + so I can build some funds back up.

The beauty is it's a two owner car, and I know the guy who has had it for the last 7 years, and it's got a very comprehensive history. Plus it's not a 2.5 so it won't chew it's own internals every 24 months...

Reactions: ScottD3 and BRILLO
With a few tweaks it could look like mine- best color too !

my word!
that is a bit of a ****** james!, so sorry to hear this!
i did not know you had so much grief with your motor!
i think you are doing the correct thing and ploughing no more hard earned, into it. not that you need to hear this that is!
moving on and not dwelling,
i think all avants are lovely looking motors and i have always liked the A6!,less common and just as stylish with oodles of room!
how does it rate compared to the A4? is it massive? inside and out compared to the A4?, does it drive just as good or better?, and is the build quality just as good?
either way i hope you enjoy the new one and being a nice colour a decent set of rims should finish it off nicely.

that was quick james no hanging around there..
you'll feel better when the cash starts coming in from breaking the 2.5!

just an update on the fan external fan thing...

I decided to check the 219 relay for corrosion or water as the bonnet had been left up during a rain storm when replacing the diesel pump. but good news was it was dry under ecu. however on trying to pull 219 out I noticed the 202 glowplug fuse/relay blue cover was loose and on removing the internals had completely melted! must have been causing some sort of miss-communication to the ecu. could this have been caused when cooking the previous battery or trying to start a car with a bad pump I dont know but a new 202 relay seems to have stopped the fan coming on. very strange. the old fuse is a meyle german part (from poland) bought on ebay last year so i'll pass it back and see what they say.

how does it rate compared to the A4? is it massive? inside and out compared to the A4?, does it drive just as good or better?, and is the build quality just as good?

I pick it up tomorrow :beerchug:

That reminds me, need to work how to do a thread ban.

Reactions: crazy88
Yeah, I don't think I'll ever make a breaking thread. Is it upsetting? At least the a6 ticks all the right boxes apart from quattro! How's the drop in power? Does it feel underpowered or just slower?

Edit: I just read your breaking advert...it's gutting for you mate! I loved your car.