Badger5Monster Motorsport
    Fire up the Quattro!

Status

Belt tensioning damper - 059109479B

Just checked my timing belt kit and noticed that there is no belt tensioning damper included! When I spoke to the guy at Audi he said 'EVERYTHING' was included in what they call a 'REPAIR KIT'.

Is it imperative that this part is changed?

Car is booked in for 08:30hrs tomorrow. No chance in picking one up today. Or at least not a genuine one.

Are aftermarket ones ok to use? The rest of the kit is Genuine Audi parts.

Dan
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro
    Mods Done: Q5 Rear aero wiper. Front ambient light install. Led number plate lens. Towbar with 13pin electrics.
    Mods to complete: Sport shocks to go with Eibach pro springs. Fit 17" 5 star matt black wheels. Fix lack of torque at low revs. Get a custom exhaust system fitted.

FOR SALE - Eibach Pro Sport springs for a 2.5 V6 B6/7 PM ME.

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    its more than advisable pal,what happens if you replace the belt then the bearings in the pulley or tensioner go!
    also not essential but while its being done i always throw a waterpump on for the sake of a few quid more as that could start leaking or bearings go again!
    if you cant afford audi just go for something like a gates, most manufacturers use them anyway!

3rd Gear

Status
    just reread your post and noticed you said no tensioner, thought you meant the little roller puller that comes with most kits too!, in that case i think its definately advisable to replace the tensioner at the very least!
    out of interest what did you actually get in this repair kit,was it just a belt?
    might be best taking it back and go soemwhere like gsf or euro carparts and get a full kit that usually includes the belt tensioner and the little roller pulley!

Fire up the Quattro!

Status
    I have 3 new pulleys in the kit. 2 x roller and 1 x tensioner. 2 x belts and a cover and a bolt. And a new water pump. I'm referring to the 'grenade' style hydraulic tensioner. The one with a safety pin when it's brand new.

Like this:

Dan
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro
    Mods Done: Q5 Rear aero wiper. Front ambient light install. Led number plate lens. Towbar with 13pin electrics.
    Mods to complete: Sport shocks to go with Eibach pro springs. Fit 17" 5 star matt black wheels. Fix lack of torque at low revs. Get a custom exhaust system fitted.

3rd Gear

Status
    sorry im getting confused,you said you didnt have a tesnioner in kit in first post then youve just said you have one now?
    if you dont have that then ideally you need it as ive replaced belts on peugeots with same style tensioner and weve always replaced them for good measure!

Fire up the Quattro!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by glenandem View Post
    sorry im getting confused,you said you didnt have a tesnioner in kit in first post then youve just said you have one now?
    if you dont have that then ideally you need it as ive replaced belts on peugeots with same style tensioner and weve always replaced them for good measure!
    No, my first post said 'no belt tensioning damper', not tensioner per se lol.
    It is confusing.

I'll have to try and source one then but with car in the garage tomorrow morning, I may have to let them try and get hold of one. If not, I remember changing this on my 2.8 V6 Audi, iirc, it is fairly accessible and could be done at the weekend after the belt and pump change?
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro