The dog has surpassed itself this time!!

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Coming back from the putting some fuel in this dog i've recently bought (2.5Q) and as I was coming down a 'steepish' hill at about 40mph there is a sharp right bend, road condition was wet but not raining or surface water, anyway, as I turned right quickly without braking the car juddered (no acceleration/brake applied) like i'd hit a huge puddle and I noticed that my TC light was flashing away then stopped. Also I heard/felt the ABS kicking in. It came from the front left wheel.

So as I was driving along the straight stretch, no other traffic about, I started to throw the car to the right then left. Every time I threw it right, the TC light flashes and ABS kicks in on the front left wheel! Only does this when it's a fast/quick turn right on the steering wheel.

Anybody else ever had their Audi brake for them when turning quickly? My concern now is what if it just jams the brake on on the front left when driving along?

When I got home, I checked all brakes for heat and it was even, so it doesn't appear to be a sticky caliper causing lock up on wet roads....

I'm amazed and shocked at the same time.

Not done a VCDS yet. Will do that shortly.

Dan

Were you going quick enough to loose traction?

If im going quick or out for abit of a hoon I usually turn off TC.

It sounds like you may have an ABS issue though, possibly a dirty sensor / corroded ABS ring on that wheel.
Sometimes mis-matched tyres can also cause this when "spirited" driving is taking place.

I had it happen once on very wet leaves going down a steep twisty hill (my favourite run in the pug!), I was pushing it! hahaha

No I wasn't really pushing it, I normally do as it is a good road and motorcyclists love it too. 40mph which is a bit quicker than someone would normally take the bend, but certainly not an excessive speed. Even on the straight I was only doing 40 again.

It has four matching tyres and tread depths, Bridgestones I think they are. 6mm all round.

I'll be changing the rear discs and pads soon so will check the front whilst I'm at it.

Dan

I had this happen on my old A3 1.9Q, going round a feeble corner at normal speed and left wheel (turning right) started braking.

I'm pretty sure it was my shot wishbone bushes causing this issue. I had the bushes changed a week later and solved the issue. Put it round same corner at increased speed and just stuck to the road.

i'd be checking your abs ring pal on the cv joint, if its gummed up with crap or corrosion then just try a wire brush on it and clean out the grooves,see if that helps!

I had this happen on my old A3 1.9Q, going round a feeble corner at normal speed and left wheel (turning right) started braking.

I'm pretty sure it was my shot wishbone bushes causing this issue. I had the bushes changed a week later and solved the issue. Put it round same corner at increased speed and just stuck to the road.

Ok, Will get them checked. Car is in the garage on monday for timing belt job so will get them to check the bushings as it's due an MOT soon.

Dan

i'd be checking your abs ring pal on the cv joint, if its gummed up with crap or corrosion then just try a wire brush on it and clean out the grooves,see if that helps!

Cheers for that, I will have a look when I do the rear brakes. Strange how it only did it in the wet and never has any other time when I've been doing some 'spirited' driving and with plenty of understeer!

Dan

You could hit a patch of greasy road and/or your tyres grip badly in the wet allowing the TC to kick in in these conditions... Most "budget" tyres have poor grip in the wet so even if they are matching and the car is a quattro it might be not gripping mechanically before the electronics take over. As above i would check the ABS sensor readings in VCDS but it will be a red herring as the ESP will sense that and the TC will be on the dash ! What it could be is crud/metal filings on the ABS sensor that could give a false reading so the ABS system thinks one wheel spins faster than the other, again monitoring the sensors will shed some light on the matter. Just remember that the ABS system will drop communications if speeds are above 20 Mph so it might be inconclusive but look for differences in the readings...

Cheers Chris, tyres are Goodyear EfficientGrip all round. Will give the VCDS a go tomorrow after I've done the brakes. Hopefully nothing too serious!

Thanks for your input, as ever, it's much appreciated.

Dan