B6 1.9 TDi Quattro - Exhaust Blowing - Help Please!?

Springer*

Reaction score
Hi there,

On the way home from work last night in the pouring rain my exhaust decided to give up the ghost.

Not sure where the problem is but it does seem to sound like its near the front, so possibly manifold or the front end of the pipe.

Naturally I'm a bit fearful of the cost of a new pipe given how Audi love to charge the earth so I was wondering if anyone could let me know how many pieces the exhaust pipe has on the quattro (twin pipe) models?

I'm just hoping its not a single piece pipe as I'm sure that will cost a fortune.

Also, while on the subject, as I drive the car whenever I turn left I seem to get an awful knocking noise from the from drivers side. This makes me think that the exhaust is somehow hanging down and is catching on the suspension at the front perhaps? Due to the undertray I can't see anything handing down underneath the car.

I'm going to get it booked in somewhere before it blows up, but I'd be grateful if anyone could shine some light on what is likely to have gone, how many pieces the exhaust comes in, and what potential cost I'm looking at :scared2:

J:)

A secondhand exhaust could cost between 50 to 150 depending on condition and postage on top.

After the cat the exhaust is one solid piece with no joints unless aftermarket.

Well after having a good look around underneath the car this lunchtime I can see that the exhaust pipe has become detached from the rear section pretty much right under the drivers seat.

There is a large sleeve type bracket that fastens the front end of the pipe (cat, manifolds etc.) to the rear (silencers etc.) and whilst its all still completely intact, the front section appears to have worked loose and come away.

I'll need to see if the existing sleeve section is able to be tightened and then re-attach the pipe, or if not then get a new sleeve part and try again....

Its funny though, I've never had an exhaust problem on a diesel car before and to be honest I've never heard anything like it! Right now the car sounds like a 1930s delivery truck :lmfao: and the economy seems to be in tatters.

Will have to see what I can get done at the garage tomorrow.

J:)

Loosen both bolts on the collar and reassemble before torquing up.....sounds like it will be fine after that.