Looking at my first Audi

bumbertag

Reaction score
Hi, just small introduction , im matthew currently driving a Ford Focus 1.8 this is my first car and i cannot fault it, no issues nothing whatsoever but it im currently 20 years old and wanting a new car as i have a deep down feeling that come next year things will start going wrong on my Foci. she is a 51 plate and has never put a foot wrong which is why i think its time to sell up.

ive been looking at purchasing an Audi A4 B6 chassis Convertible 1.8turbo quattro. i know i know that might sound like a lot for my age but insurance is really good for me surprisingly. looking at spending around £7,000 i only want a quattro cant deal with another Front wheel drive car sadly.

just wanting to know the basics, the ins and outs the little niggly problems, running costs and the issue regarding the oil clumping up. just any information which you can throw my way would be brilliant i really want a top spec model so if there are issued with regards to sat navs, heated seats etc let me know. Thanks guys i look forward to joining the club with my own Audi very soon unless i get put off lol.

Matty

This is a lot of car and you might find it hard to find a decent one.These engines can be abused and the oil pick up pipe is a common problem.Ideally one which has had this done or not been on longlife servicing but failing this its something of a must.Dont know much about cabs but Quattro is good.Heated leather would be nice with the top down if its cold but sunny

Hi Matty, welcome to audi-sport.net. Have a read in the faqs thread, lots of info in there. Enjoy the forum. :) x

Great engine, ive driven both a cab and a saloon and the differnces in stabiltity between the hard top and soft top are worlds apart! The cab rolls dramatically and has a very light feeling to the rear! I must say i only drove a 2 wheel drive so the quatroo will be better! Id have a look at the hard top quatroo if your after a car you can take to the limit safely! Just something to consider drive both you dont have to buy! The 1.8t engine is great very tourqey once remapped @ stage 2 but lacks unmapped! Is one of them cars that has the potential to lose your interest if not modded a bit! This is only my opinion though... The key to these enignes is to service every 6 months with new oil, filters, coolant and keeping on top of joints and rubbers! I have had none of the sludge problems as experienced by many others but fingers crossed i continue to not get any, all my pipes and pick up (checked) have stayed clean and no block! I believe this down to my continuois oil changes and running a larger oil filter to hold a slightly higher amount of oil! Also i believe giving the car abit of stick once a week helps the car stay clean as gets up to good running tempertaures! Plenty of mods avaliable for this engine to keep your modding needs satisfied! Running costs are slightly high tax obviously being expensive with the 1.8t engines returning around 32mpg, considerably less if booted alot! Maintenance can be high if anything seriously goes wrong, with bills outweighing price of car in some circumstances and stories ive heard. But all said and done lovely cars when they run right and very good looking for such an older car now!

Had no real problems yet touch wood. What I would say is MPG around town is shat and expect filling up to cost between 80 and 90 quid return is about 400 miles driving like fanny on the motorway, like I said around town forget about it.

Saying that I love it and would take something special for me to sell it or move away from Audi :)