caliper paint colour!

glenandem

Reaction score
gonna paint the brake calipers on the front and rear as theyre a bit rusty looking and cant decide what colour, as per pic my avant is silver with anthracite wheels, was thinking red but as the brakes are the weedy standard ones and look small through the 19's i didnt want to them to stand out so just thinking silver or black?
any recommendations or should i risk it with red?

Need to do mine too either silver or black gold could look good though

mmm, ive seen gold on grey coloured cars and it looks cool but not sure on my silver avant as the main colours i got is silver anthracite rims and ive painted the front grills black with headlights smoked and red s line badges on sides!

Gloss black, red only works on big brakes IMO.

Exactly pal that's why I don't want to do them red even though its a cool colour on big brakes, it doesn't work on teeny brakes that look even smaller behind 19's!
im thinking black or maybe silver behind the anthracite wheels but shouldn't be as loud as the red colour?

Mine are gloss black, behind my RS6's - the fronts are 312 and look good. The rear calipers are the tiny things, and they're not really visible unless you look. I think silver would draw attention to the small rear calipers myself, you could silver the fronts and black the rear?

Yeh as already said,,go gloss black!
Although gold could look good....Mmmmmm!:think:That said i would imagine it would have to be applied thick........

Last edited:
I did mine all silver just to clean them up and look like new. I was thinking about doing them a light gold as my mate has done this and they look really nice in the flesh

Here is my current caliper colour to give an idea

10.jpg

8.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to re- do mine from red to black, smoothrite all the way. ;-))

that gold works perfect on that grey colour but im not sure on my silver,think its gonna be silver or gloss black!
i did my old calipers on my golf years ago with something from b&q called japlac,what do you guys use??

Last edited:
Japlac is good too.... if you go silver ,,, the rear calipers are are aluminium so if you spend a bit of time with a wire brush you can get them nice and shiny and then laquer them....

Well thanks to this thread, I've gone and re-done my callipers (for the third time) in Hammarite hammered gold!

Hamerite smooth red on mine as the car carrys a black/red theme

29A32092-C8BA-45AA-BBF7-EA652041196A-1122-000001723A039B8D_zps9ddee61b.jpg

I think your car would suit either blue or yellow imho !!!

I did mine all silver just to clean them up and look like new. I was thinking about doing them a light gold as my mate has done this and they look really nice in the flesh

Here is my current caliper colour to give an idea

10.jpg

8.jpg

what wheels and spec are those ?? Suit the car really well !!

Cheers. They are CSL style rear rims all round so have a nice dish to them........18x8.5 ET32 with 235/40/18 tyres and flush with the arches

some nice pics of calipers popping up here!
how long did it take for the paint to dry on your calipers as i know hamerrite isnt the quickest at drying, just that i need to paint the calipers away from my house then drive it home about a mile away then i can leave them to dry off!

I had done mine in the summer and took a good day to fully cure.

I would drive slow and not rally drive home LOL so not to create too much brake dust and over cook the paint at the drying stage

I used 2K paint using a roller & paint brush, 2k paint uses a chemical hardener to dry so they don't have to be left for long for the paint to go off. just make sure you don't get it on your skin and if spaying it use an air feed mask.

Go VHT automotive gloss black spray with white high temp decals
Side   CopyCalipers 1

I've just done one side of my A8 yesterday. Takes a bit more prep - wash calipers with detergent, wire brush cup on drill, wonder wheels via brush into harder to reach areas, wash and rinse, thorough dry with a paint stripping gun, the long bit is masking everything off especially the brake disc, then use a black bin bag cut a small hole in the bottom, put it over the caliper, disc and suspension leg, etc then tear the hole just big enough for the caliper to come through then masking tape again. 3-4 coats of black - 10mins between coats then a blast with the heat gun for 5-10 mins at fast cure. I then used the clear gloss too but it isn't really necessary. Apply decals and then you're done

Finish is much smoother with spray, will dry quicker, won't look over-painted and it is made for high temps. I've used hammerite in brush on and spray lots before but the finish can't compare to this VHT GLOSS BLACK BRAKE CALIPER & DRUM PAINT SP734 | eBay

I've got an unused can of gloss black and various sizes of white Quattro high temp decals if you are interested. One can will do approx 8 calipers with 3-4 decent coats

anyone used the dulux wood and metal paint, i got some black from some railings i did a while ago and although it doesnt say anything about temp etc im just wondering if anyone tried it?
i know the common paint everyone uses is hammerite but im just trying to save myself a few quid if its good to use it lol

Looking good mate!Very subtle but clean looking.:icon_thumright: