Tyre compressor

mattyboyc

B6 Veteran now Q5 owner
Reaction score
Hi,
Can anyone reccomend a home compressor suitable for tyre inflation that is man enough and gives a acurate pressure reading, i gave a halfords speciel which is about as much use as a chocolate teapot, i have industrial air supply at the workshop but it's not practical to keep going backwards and forwards.Just wondering what you guys are using,
Thanks in advance.

Wouldn't it be easier to have the tyres removed and checked and also the rims checked for corrosion then you wouldn't have a need to keep inflating your tyres?

Otherwise, I have an Air pump from Argos, it was about £14 iirc. It used to pump up my Discovery tyre no problem. (which used to deflate due to the rims corroding and causing a small leak)

Dan

This is what I have: Argos

Half price at the moment!

some of the price's on there are a joke !! , its a cheap plastic pump that will last about a year , and have you ever used it in anger , I have on the wifes TT , you can here it from the other side of the town .

So it would appear they're not up to Audi's usual build quality then.
Some ebay sellers really do take the p***.
As suggested if you are constantly having to inflate your tyres you'd be better of having the rims checked & cleaned up.

I had a small air leak which meant I had to top every week. Was some corosion on the wheels. Paid £10 to have tyre removed rim rubbed down and tyre put back on. Its really not worth hassel having to top up with air every now and then

The Michelin 12262 tyre inflator is the dog's danglies. Built in LED lights for night time, digital gauge, pressure release, etc. Better than any Halfords special. My last one sounded a pneumatic drill before giving up the ghost.

try Lidl they do an excellent heavy duty one, the gauge is good too and it's a solid bit of kit

Just ordered a ring rac630 as that has come out on top of numerous tests so will see how that performs, i don't suffer with pressure loss but have 4 cars, motorbikes, push bikes that all need air in tyres and i also check pressure on a weekly basis so was just looking for ine that performed better than the one i have.

I have a battery booster/compressor combo from Maplin, the booster pack works a treat but the compressor can only be run for about a minute before it starts to get to hot and it has to be let to cool down for 5 minutes. So inflating a flat tyre could take hours lol. I just have a twin cylinder foot pump that is far more reliable and quicker.

I've had quite a few 12v ones over the years all of which, including a coupe of expensive ones have packed in. When my last one from Costco died I was forced to use the track pump for my mountain bikes and it works a treat, bit more effort obviously but just as quick and more reliable, even manages to blow up my caravan tyres and they are 65psi. Chain reaction usually have good deals on.

Reactions: mattyboyc and Greeny233