Automatic boot opening

DieselJake

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
This topic has been around a few times but found it a little tricky to find info on fitting, etc.

Found the (presumed) parts for a b7 which should be same as b6 http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-s-rs-parts/145275-auto-boot-opening-parts.html
Also saw it done the pikey way on a mk5 Golf forum MK5 Golf 'Autoboot' pikey mod - uk-mkivs
Not sure if doing the b6 mod would be similar to the golf, looks like it may also need coding.

Don't even remember if the boot open button works on mine, would check this but it's currently at the body shop. Just looking for a guide or someone to help me with this. Only concern is when the car opens the boot does too although surely there's something to stop that else the mod wouldn't be worth doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is on my todo list.

You basically need new boot hinges and springs and the stronger dampers.......that is it

When the boot button is pressed the stronger dampers and springs fully push open the boot lid.

Cheers, sounds fairly straight forward in that case. Thought it would need some degree of coding as the mk5 has the boot open button coded to make the boot pop which is somehow different to when the doors open so the boot opens but doesn't pop up when you unlock the car.

This is on my todo list.

You basically need new boot hinges and springs and the stronger dampers.......that is it

When the boot button is pressed the stronger dampers and springs fully push open the boot lid.

Where from? Audi? Part numbers. I think the oem way of just opening and that's it is pretty pointless as it should open all the way out of factory.

Really should open as standard but suppose this kind of (not so complicated) technology wasn't around.

I looked into this a few years ago, my memory is a bit sketchy, but I seem to remember that the parts are very expensive. I'm happy to be proved wrong though as I would do this on mine.

Found the part numbers with prices but not sure if theses prices will be the same now, i will call Audi and see what they say.

8E5 827 302 D - Right £24.89
8E5 827 301 D - Left £24.89
4F5 827 665 A x2 £27.13
8E5 827 552 K x2 £50.41

These are for the hinges, the gas struts and the springs.

Reactions: Mr_Dude
Can this job can be done on an b5?
You have a b6 which is essentially the same underneath as a b7 so the mods are compatible....a b5 is the a4 built between 1997 to 2001...

Reactions: Piedone
This topic has been around a few times but found it a little tricky to find info on fitting, etc.

Found the (presumed) parts for a b7 which should be same as b6 http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-s-rs-parts/145275-auto-boot-opening-parts.html
Also saw it done the pikey way on a mk5 Golf forum MK5 Golf 'Autoboot' pikey mod - uk-mkivs
Not sure if doing the b6 mod would be similar to the golf, looks like it may also need coding.

Don't even remember if the boot open button works on mine, would check this but it's currently at the body shop. Just looking for a guide or someone to help me with this. Only concern is when the car opens the boot does too although surely there's something to stop that else the mod wouldn't be worth doing.

Found the part numbers with prices but not sure if theses prices will be the same now, i will call Audi and see what they say.

8E5 827 302 D - Right £24.89
8E5 827 301 D - Left £24.89
4F5 827 665 A x2 £27.13
8E5 827 552 K x2 £50.41

These are for the hinges, the gas struts and the springs.

I didn't even know this exists, got to have it as I am in need of this feature every day, thanks guys for the info, gonna get a quote 1st thing for the parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Archies
Yeah I had watched that. But need to know more about that setup. Particularly for the B6 Avant. Hmmmm, need to remove my boot trim soon so maybe look at what could be added/modded.....

Dan

Dan,

The system on the avant is similar to my wifes X5. because of the very heavy tailgate its a mechanical lift and lower system operated by electric motors hence the close button you see in the video. It was a £1280 extra on the X5 and I am sure you could retro fit the system to a vehicle that it was designed for, sadly the B6/B7 A4 never had auto open/close tailgate so I doubt if this is going to be available unless someone gets clever. The fact that the boot lid opens in the video for the late model A6 with the owners foot is part of the keyless-go system so as long as you have the key in you pocket the sensor under the bumper picks up your foot and opens the boot, this would have been a nice feature on the X5 as we have keyless-go but BMW didn't think of it.

Dan,

The system on the avant is similar to my wifes X5. because of the very heavy tailgate its a mechanical lift and lower system operated by electric motors hence the close button you see in the video. It was a £1280 extra on the X5 and I am sure you could retro fit the system to a vehicle that it was designed for, sadly the B6/B7 A4 never had auto open/close tailgate so I doubt if this is going to be available unless someone gets clever. The fact that the boot lid opens in the video for the late model A6 with the owners foot is part of the keyless-go system so as long as you have the key in you pocket the sensor under the bumper picks up your foot and opens the boot, this would have been a nice feature on the X5 as we have keyless-go but BMW didn't think of it.

It's not so much the closing the part I'm after. It's the boot opening I'd prefer as my hands are usually full of kids and puschairs and shopping etc. My son could press the remote boot button on my key fob and the boot lid open so I can just put it all in there straight away without putting it down on the wet ground etc.

Something like some high tension springs to lift the boot quickly enough once the catch releases, then the struts lift the rest of the way to the fully open position. But the springs can't be too high on tension as I don't want to be force slamming the boot shut....

Dan

Last edited:
At £171, I'd definately do it. You could be about to make yourself a very popular pair of gentlemen on this board!

If either of you do do it, a brief description of any issues other than the obvious swapping of parts would be greatly appreciated.

Don't forget that you will need to paint the new hinges too.

This has been on my todo list for a long time.

Nice one Archie, I got pretty much the same prices (give or take some pennies) from TPS, all original parts of course.

Have them on order and will get them fitted during the service next week!

Can't wait, could have done with this this morning as I "threw" my packed lunch all over the drive way because my hands were full of other stuff and couldn't get the boot open lol.

Oh the irony!!!!!

Great stuff Geoff,

Will be a god send, especially on shopping days. :)

I hope to god they work.lol....Wife thinks im nuts....

Last edited:
I hope to god they work.lol....Wife thinks im nuts....

I get that all the time especially when I get fussy about the small details, then again she has 2010 X5 with every conceivable extra including the remote tailgate option so she's sorted. Blimey, shes even got a heated steering wheel!

Good luck with that one lol, I don't think Audi even do it on the Q7.

Totally pointless extra if you ask me and wasted on the Mrs along with the HUD, 7 seats, 21" wheels and freeview/DVD with Dolby surround.

She only works 3 days a week and 14 miles each of those days!!!!! I kid you not.
250836 101489476612006 7210059 n

Nice car there Geoff,

I like big cars, i had Land Rovers for years, im on the look out for a solid Series 3, i love them but there hard to come by unless i spend stupid money. Ill probably wait until summer because they will come down a bit in price.

Why not fit some Transit valve springs to your current struts?

When you press the boot open, it opens the boot that extra couple of inches, enough for the struts to take over and open it rest of the way.

Its been done on Avants, golfs and others for years with out any adverse effect that I've read.

That should work with B5, B6, B7. If you got the boot open button, I don't :(

It does make it a little harder to shut but nothing that bad I don't think.