High mileage 2.5tdi MOT amazement - sorry about the Smugness

haytch75

Reaction score
So my 2.5TDI Quattro Sport Avant is now on 190k and I didn't have a chance to look over it before the MOT this week. I just dropped it off and hoped, which is exactly what I've done for the last two years, and yet again it's passed! Now I know that posting this probably means that it'll go BANG anytime soon but I'm just amazed at how invincible this car is. It's almost as if it's immortal. Sorry for sounding so smug but we read so many horror stories on here (especially with this engine) that I thought I'd share a good one.
I've already decided that when it does go BANG I'm getting an S4, looks like I'm waiting a bit longer then:blackrs4:

Reactions: Sandra
Good news. Mine just it's MOT a couple of weeks ago at 152k. It's a B5 model (aka Amtrak locomotive)! Just got rear arms done as tracking was all to ****. Need to replace front flexible brake pipes. Touch wood... don't want any issues over winter, just fuel and go! Some tiny paint blisters on front arches, but tidy for 2001.

Good stuff, when these cars want to work, they will go forever.

Yeah Spartacus. My Arches are getting quite bad now but mine is the light sliver colour (LY7W) and i've never seen a good paint match on a repair of this colour. In two minds whether it's worth spending the money for what will probably look like an obvious repair.

Yeah Spartacus. My Arches are getting quite bad now but mine is the light sliver colour (LY7W) and i've never seen a good paint match on a repair of this colour. In two minds whether it's worth spending the money for what will probably look like an obvious repair.

Will you need to replace the wings or will a light sand do it? I'm holding on to mine for another year... think I said that for the last 3 years! Still returns 44mpg, hauls a trailer at weekends and temperature sits at 90 which brings a smile to my face.

If I get it done I'll replace the wings. They're a bit too far gone to make a repair worthwhile and there's some on e-bay that apparetnly fit very well for around £80 a pair. "I'm holding onto mine for another year"....I know that feeling, i just can't justify getting rid of it while it still does everything I ask it to so well. Best pound-for-pound car i've owned

Reactions: spartacus 68
I've said it before and i will say it again, oil changes are the secret to a long life with the V6 engines, well any engine really!

And the choice of oil! I use Castrol Edge 5w30 on my B5 and renew every 10k, and never use an engine flush, just run to temperature and pull the plug.

Mines on 6k intervals with Quantum. Might rethink the oil now the mileage is getting higher. Engines apart, I'm more amazed at the other parts surviving so well. Suspension, chassis, brakes, exhaust (i know now that its stainless), electrics etc. the stuff that should cause MOT problems on what are old & high mileage cars.