Advice needed quattro transmission oils

lynallbel

Reaction score
Wife has just bought a 2005 3.0tdi quattro and im going to service it this weekend, and need to know what oils the diffs and gearboxes take, or is it a special job?
When doing fuel filter i assume once fitted its ign on and let pump run until it stops a few times and then start it?

Ta
Lynall

Bit more technical on an auto or tip

Has to be between a specific temperature to measure the level and ensure its topped up correctly
Ideally you need to speak to the dealer to find out which oil it is in the gearbox as there are two differant ones and they do not mix
Rear dif i would use either motul or fuch

If your going to change the gearbox oil i would remove the sump and replace the filter strainer as well

Thanks for that, how do you check the tip/auto oil level?, on wifes merc there was a workshop only dipstick, had two sets of markings for hot and cold measurements, i used to change the merc gbox oil every year along with the in sump filter, as i didnt want a repeat of when my merc ate the gearbox and cost me 1400 for a recon.
Do you also know the viscosity for the diff oils?
Looks like im going to be busy friday night!

Lynall

Audi say the tiptronic box is sealed for life but the ATF can be changed by someone with the know how.There is no means to check the level.Audi did my 2.5tdi cost about £150

Mike, im pretty certain i can change it myself, just need to know how to get the level correct, ive got all the pumps etc.
Plus as a mech im way to tight to pay someone else for what i can do myself.

Lynall

sealed for life = dont change and wait for gearbox to break = more money for audi dealer selling gearboxes ..... no oil lasts forever

there are 2 differant types of atf fluid you need to know which one is for your car ....ask the audi dealer give them the reg number and ask them for there part no for the atf fluid as it can often be found a lot cheaper online
buy the filter strainer and a new sump gasket also as to change the filter strainer you need the sump off completly

when you have the sump off make sure you clean the magnets at either end of the strainer

if your going to do the atf change make sure you change the filter also , its pointless doing anything other than this
as the new fluid will only run through the same old dirty filter and possibly disturb the particles which have collected on your magnets over time

you use a program like vag com to get the gearbox temperature

use the main plug underneath to release the fluid and the upper plug to check the level or replace
(undo the plug slightly and see if it leaks this gives an indication to level at temperature , when re-filling try to squeeze a little bit extra in the tank as by the time you have removed the pipe from the pump some liquid has come out of the refill hole )

Thanks for that info, im giving it a std oil and filter service tonight, with all other filters, air, pollen, fuel etc and will work out whats what when i get underneath it.
Im used to trucks and land rovers so anything small is normally a pita!
Sealed for life, i suppose that depends on the design life, but have to say when sealed for life prop ujs were fitted to truck props 2006 onwards we were all very scepitical, but have now seen several with over a million ks, but thats obviously grease and not oil.

Lynall