Termostat random find

Mike.M

Reaction score
Well been having issues with my car not getting up to temperature. I had changed the coolant temp sensor and thermostat last year for peace of mind and all has been fine until a month ago.

Finally decided to have a look, so got the coolant temp sensor changed for a new one under warranty which made the dash gauge a bit more responsive but still had issue.

In the end I decided to change the thermostat as it could have fail in an open state.......on inspection I discovered a random plastic peg wedged in the thermostat keeping it open and the cause of all my probs as when that was out and stytem filled again, the engine got to temp in no time at all.

Here is the item so please throw me any ideas to what it could be?

random1.JPG

random2.JPG

My mate from TPS and I have looked over items like the water pump and can not match it to anything!

It could be a random item that has been there all along and just happened to get properly stuck in the thermostat......glad it did not wedge the water pump is all I say

that is one of the prongs that are inside the thermostat housing that hold the thermostat on to the housing

inside the housing there is two prongs either side and what you do is put the seal on the housing then you put the stat on and twist it and the stat locates on the prongs and stays on then you fit it to the engine

Reactions: Mike.M
Thermo5

you can see the two prongs in this pic

Reactions: Mike.M
You star lol

Cheers for that and did not think of that part. Must have eventually broken off a few weeks ago as not touched it since June last year.

It's been bugging me not knowing :) and glad it is nothing major

Last edited:
it may have snapped when refitting last time and only just got stuck

they tend to break on removal of the old stat to be honest