Best way to fit coilovers without undoing the dreaded bolt

vr6gordy

Reaction score
Gonna fit the front coilovers on Saturday but don't want to undo the dreaded bolt ..last time I swoped the springs I took the hub nut off and the drive shaft and removed the hole unit but I found another way by undoing the top wish bone arms and removing the strut that way but witch is easyiest ????

Perservere amd take the pinch bolt out and replace it and copperslip it to make things easyer in the future, its not as hard to remove as evryone says, both of mine snapped and i had them both out in an hour with a punch and a hammer and some wd40

Perservere amd take the pinch bolt out and replace it and copperslip it to make things easyer in the future, its not as hard to remove as evryone says, both of mine snapped and i had them both out in an hour with a punch and a hammer and some wd40
havent got time to do it that way ...

I use copper slip on my pinch bolts, but then again I change them every year when I service the car, takes a couple of minutes each side. only option is to remove the bolt on the bottom arm going into the subframe.

sure i said i havent got time to undo the bolt ..so why are people still telling me ???????????

I said undo the bolt on the bottom arm going into the subframe!!!!

sure i said i havent got time to undo the bolt ..so why are people still telling me ???????????

tbh if you dont have "time" to do the bolt, then I would strongly advise waiting until you do have time so you can do the job properly. If you do it wrong, it could have some serious consequences! Failing that, take it to a shop to get them to do it properly. Dont try and cut corners.

How will this let you drop the spring and strut out when it's still bolted to the up right ???

I fitted a set on a b5.5 passat without removing the pinch not sure if it the same process. But I compressed the spring in place and that gave me enough room to undo the top arms. It's awkward to get the strut out but saves messing about. There's a guide for it somewhere I just can't find it

What way won't work on a b6 cos there's only 1 bolt that holds the strut so you have to lower the hole unit