Chris NottAH Fabrications
    Reverse Gear

Status

Exclamation 2004 A4 cabriolet 2.5 tdi v6 steering rack dead! need urgent help!

Hope there is someone out there who can help me!!!

to give a quick history, i seen that my p/s fluid was low and took it to a local garage ( i am english and living in france) i was getting the normal groan from the power steering which I thought was from the p/s fluid being low. When entering the garage I asked if they had the fluid needed (mineral p/s fluid green) to which he started pouring atf fluid red in it. after manipulating the wheel, the noise went and was able to drive another 10 miles until the noise came back, At this point i have no visable leakage spot under the car but now I have a totally ruptured steering rack with fluid pouring everywhere.

After the mechanic informed me a new steering rack is needed, searching on the internet for the part is like trying to find rocking horse poop.

so what I need to know is...

The part number Audi has given me for the rack on my vehicle is 8H2422052D,
    I have called many motor factor companies and they ask me if my rack has a speed sensor on or not? which audi cant even tell me.

All the car parts that sellers are saying to me is the part 8E2422052D and that this is the part for my car but audi are telling me the the H in the part number means cabriolet and the E in the other part number is just for the regular A4.

Can someone tell me if the 8E part number can be used on my vehicle... I am so confused!!!

Thanks in advance and if any more info is needed, please let me know!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    8E number are showing for petrol engine models only no idea if they fit diesel models

Capture.JPG

3rd Gear

Status
    hi b5 nut where can i get a copy of audis part database like you just posted?

Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

Status
    Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    here are some 2nd hand racks that are on Ebay,

8H2422052D | eBay

Reverse Gear

Status
    thanks for the replies, I am still at a loss with this situation, rang a place today who seems to think I would need to rack with a speed sensor by the type of vehicle it is which is the part number starting with 8E.

@Turkster - had a look through ebay the past few days and non seem to be the one I am looking for, found one that was stating my number but when I called, they only had the 8E one left which has a speed sensor!

Any more advice would be appreciated!!

6th Gear

Status
    I checked ebay it gave 0 results, just listed 8E racks.

for the software search the pirate site!

Reverse Gear

Status
    i was just wondering if there is much difference between the 8E and the 8H (sorry, i know a very typical female response) but the guy i spoke with stated the difference is just the speed sensor attached? if I was to buy this and not connect the speed sensor (providing my car doesnt need it) would it work, the guy seemed to think that was the only difference with the steering rack... or could it be different as the v6 engine takes up much more room so they specifically have a unique rack... so many questions!

6th Gear

Status
    Sorry I cannot help any further, I've go no idea about the speed sensors on them, but I would suspect you would have further problems with the sensor disconnected, steering could be to heavy or light etc or an ecu cause error on the dash.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi all well I have found the two parts and tried to compared the two and the speed sensor seems the be the only difference and as you say B5NUT, i dont know the consequence of not attaching the speed sensor. Possibly the only option would be to take off the rack and looking :S
    AMK.TS1149.jpgAMK.TS1149_01.jpg so this is the one without the speed sensor

AMK.TS1210.jpgAMK.TS1210-01.jpg and this is the one with the speed sensor

i think maybe taking it off and seeing what the difference is with mine that is fitted now! such a confusing thing as many motor factor companies are saying the 8E is compatible! what a nightmare!

Thanks for all your help

6th Gear

Status
    If you take off the inspection panel in the drivers side panel. You'll be able to see if there is that connector on the rack or not Lou. There is a good chance the red fluid has caused the problem here though.
    Atlas Grey A4 2.5 TDI Quattro Sport.
    Mods so far: Cruise control, DIS, Heated Mirrors, Tuning box, Xenonx, Centre Arm Rest, MFSW, RNS-E, SDS and Aero Wipers.
    To do: None yet.
    Next: Auto dip rearview mirror and Folding Mirrors.

Reverse Gear

Status
    @BlackQuat- the inspection panel is where sorry? are we talking about in the wheel arch or actually by the pedals? sorry if I sound like a bit of a novice here!! I think you are right about the fluid too, I have had the car 6 months and never needed fluid in it until the other day so whatever leak I did have was small, now its pissing out! thanks to the wonderful french garage... only trouble now is trying to prove they are at fault!

6th Gear

Status
    In the wheel arch. The rack is in a channel behind the engine bay.
    Atlas Grey A4 2.5 TDI Quattro Sport.
    Mods so far: Cruise control, DIS, Heated Mirrors, Tuning box, Xenonx, Centre Arm Rest, MFSW, RNS-E, SDS and Aero Wipers.
    To do: None yet.
    Next: Auto dip rearview mirror and Folding Mirrors.