Advise guys please 2.5 tdi Quattro sport 2001 180bhp 6speed

Hasan1

Reaction score
The mileage is 172,000 and the engine knocking quite loud so question is if the cam if or the value is knacked is it worth rebuilding the engine and how much would it cost please any advise

Where is the knock coming from? Gearbox/Clutch? Top end? Bottom end?

Remove oil filler cap and shine torch in to have a look at the cam lobe, or remove the cam cover and check the follwers/tappets are all correct as I have heard stories of them falling off! Even a little capping has come on some cars!

Safe dan ill check the noise is coming frm the top of the engine like in the middle it can't be injector or value but if it has come would it cost alot to repair because I got aa cover I haven't try moving the car incase of damaging it

Safe dan it's coming from the middle engine it can't be the vaules or the injector if it has come off would it cost me alot to repair it pal

There's an engine on eBay for £1k. That will be the cheaper option especially as you already have 170kmiles on yours.
By the time the mechanics have stripped yours to locate the problem then replaced all the relevant parts and then reassembled it'll cost you a lot more than a grand.

I wouldn't know about the costs to repair, but don't think it would run too far into the hundreds, possibly cam removal, i'm not 100% certain.

Can't you call out the AA if you have Home Start saying you have just started it and its noisy? Maybe they would come out and try to diagnose?

But my engine code is ake isn't it 180bhp I got a few days left before I call the aa Out I got aa breakdown cover which they pay up 2 465quid hopefully but would a rebuild cos much I'm trying to find a cheapest way to make my audi run I only just brough my car 2days later my car just give up on me I'm gutted cos I bough a full Serivce part ready to go until it started to knock

When my AKE self destructed (albeit more spectacularly than yours), it was cheaper to pick up a secondhand unit (£1800+vat) than have a rebuild with new parts, for me at least.

I can supply and fit a good running engine, drop me a pm if interested mate...

my poor audi is in the wars right now, rockers have fallen off and smashed 2 cams on one side, but i've managed to find a compleat head for a very good price to swap over next week, so new cam belt time it is too then,

1373143_10151895450538748_838975617_o_zpsf149025d.jpg

But my engine code is ake isn't it 180bhp I got a few days left before I call the aa Out I got aa breakdown cover which they pay up 2 465quid hopefully but would a rebuild cos much I'm trying to find a cheapest way to make my audi run I only just brough my car 2days later my car just give up on me I'm gutted cos I bough a full Serivce part ready to go until it started to knock

did you buy it off ebay from a boy in fife?

Noo not that blue one i bough this is in sheffield just two daus later engine started. To knock

How much did it cost u pal

It will vary, from the symptoms you are describing - it would point to camshaft wear.
If you can take off one of the rocker covers like Turkster has shown, it will reveal if the camshafts are worn or not.

If your not comfortable doing this yourself, take it to an independent garage to inspect the wear for you.

If it is the camshafts and you take the car to Audi, I would expect the job to be around or over the £2,000 mark.

Personally, I would have the car taken to Chris (adamss24) - he knows these engines better than the back of his hand.

It will vary, from the symptoms you are describing - it would point to camshaft wear.
If you can take off one of the rocker covers like Turkster has shown, it will reveal if the camshafts are worn or not.

If your not comfortable doing this yourself, take it to an independent garage to inspect the wear for you.

If it is the camshafts and you take the car to Audi, I would expect the job to be around or over the £2,000 mark.

Personally, I would have the car taken to Chris (adamss24) - he knows these engines better than the back of his hand.
Thanks for the cradentials, Hassan i have a good running engine with no cam wear i can supply and fit for you, drop me a pm if interested !