Car value

ricostuart

Reaction score
Hi all,

Bit of a question, but what do you reckon a B6 S4 with about 125k miles on the clock with a p0021 error would be worth? I've seen one for sale near me, and thought it might good to break. What you guys think?

Sounds a bit low but I don't know what's with the fault so wouldn't know how much of a dealbreaker it is, also no idea what year it is because that can swing people each way.

s4 cam chain adjuster there is one for each bank, expensive to fix and and most say it's an engine out job, but people have done it with the engine in place. If you could do the work yourself then it would be worth fixing, but selling as spares could work and get you a few quid, but a big chunk of the money (the engine) would not get you much in the current condition

was thinking breaking the car apart (keep/swap some parts with mine) and pull engine. Once pulled can do a fix and sell. Ad said the chain guides have been replaced already.

Unless the car is a real dog I don't see the point in breaking it if you can fix the engine yourself. I'm sure you would make more selling as a complete car.

The parts are near £2k alone and its deffo not a job for the amateur mechanic. Its such an involved job there are not many professional mechanics out there who would undertake the job!

If you type s4 cam chains into google images and have a quick look at the pics of a stripped down engine you will soon realise why!

Ryan

Yes, seen all the images and instructions. Agreed it's not an easy job but anything is possible if you have the instructions, tools, time and money!

Thankfully, will have the time and have a fully loaded workshop with lifts at my disposal. I didnt think it would cost another 2k though to fix the cam adjuster. Might still look at breaking the car up totally, and keep the dead engine as a practice block to practice rebuilds/etc.