aghh! fuel filter clamp leaking. help!

Reaction score
OK, so I just changed my oil and filter, then spark plugs and moved on to the fuel filter. I haven't done it in the 5 years or so that I've owned the car so I figured it's due. I took a look at a couple of DIY threads on other forums and set to work. But have fallen down fairly quickly. These threads seem to indicate a pair of needle nose pliers should be used to squeeze the clamp and then pull off. WellI squeezed in various positions but felt no give. And with minimal movement during the process there is a now a drip coming from that connection. I've tried pushing it back on and taking it off completely but can't get it to move either way.

Does anyone have any advice for a silly ******* on a chilly Finnish Autumn night?

never done an audi one but done plenty of peugeots that look similar to rhat pic where they have a little plastic tap that you squeeze in and pull the hose off,ive had them too getting sticky and i found wrestling back and forward while carefuly squeezing they eventually give with a bit of force but you do have to be carefull with them being plastic!

never done an audi one but done plenty of peugeots that look similar to rhat pic where they have a little plastic tap that you squeeze in and pull the hose off,ive had them too getting sticky and i found wrestling back and forward while carefuly squeezing they eventually give with a bit of force but you do have to be carefull with them being plastic!

Thanks mate. I've been back and forward trying again and again but think I will go out yet again for another try. what is it they say about people who try the same thing over and over but expect a different result? :)

Quite an easy job. Get some pliers (or mole-grips) and squeeze the connector carefully. That will unlock it. Use a decent flat head screw driver and leaver the connector off. Be careful, but dont worry too much as its quite strong. Once one is off, you will realise how easy it really is and hte other one will come off quicker. There will be a crap load of fuel in teh filter, so keep a bowl or catch can of some sort underneath. Your arms will also get covered!

thanks for the input mate. that's definitely the technique I was applying but with the needle nose pliers squeezed and the first attempt to then move it backwards it jammed and started dripping. i'm off to the shop in a moment to see if I can get a repair kit because if I continue as I am there's a good chance that clamp will be knackered. (sigh)

By the way this forum is full of people finding "easy" jobs difficult ;P

ordered a new clamp at the local dealer, went home and investigated further. back clamp came off easily (same way I tried the front but this time it worked). After it was off I could move the filter around a lot easier and found that the plastic casing of the front clamp was cracked at the other side (opposite side from that seen in my photo) and seems to have been that way for a while. The missing torx screws on the plastic cover suggest that maybe someone has been in there once upon a time before me. Or maybe I cracked it myself. But whatever the case one came off easily and the other didn't. At least I don't have the buy the full hose or I'd need to lift the back seat and swap the hose from the fuel pump end too.

yeah, the back one (I think thats the oneyour having issues with) was a dog in comparison to the front clip. Dont use nose pliers, use mole grip. more even and flatter compression. Its the top of the clip that "sinks" in to release everything. The lip on the filter is quite high so is a bit more difficult to remove. its probably leaking as not fully seated back in. The filter has a long reach into the clip.