B6 S4 manual clutch failure - anyone else? - any advice please

• Thread starter imported_Teutonic_Tamer
  • Start date
I

imported_Teutonic_Tamer

Subject line says it all - well actually it doesn't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

I've a 2003 S4 manual with 13k mi, and the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif clutch failed on me. Driving quite sedately (due to snow) on a B road, changed from 3rd to 4th, only with some grating, then accelerated. No forward drive, but revcounter nearing red line. Turned down CD player /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif to hear the v8 rev without any forward motion. Noticed clutch pedal still down to the floor boards - tried to hook the pedal up. Clutch pedal has the resistance of a limp lettuce leaf - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif it. A few blips of the throttle, up springs the clutch pedal and forward motion is resumed.

WTF was that all about, I thought /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Anyhow, carried on driving carefully for a few more miles, and the same thing happened again - only this time no gears will engage, no matter how much blipping and trying to match revs. Clutch pedal resting on carpet again. Hook toe under to lift pedal, but it just flops to floor again.

Calls Audi rescue, recovered to local Audi dealer, no Audi courtesy car, get some awful jap-crap rice-burner (so f*%king /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif, the head lamps dim to a candle glow when ABS or TC kicks in) from National rent-a-car.

Following day, Audi dealer fones and tells me clutch has broken up, and shagged the flywheel too. Parts on back order. Still no Audi courtesy car 7 days on.

WTF do I do? Any advice please?

Thanks - Sean

03 car 31k miles with no probs for me but some early cars did have very early clutch failure (1k or 2k miles). Sorry!

That doesn't sound right at all. I also have a 2003 S4 and I recently lost all drive. After some initial delay (2 1/2 hours) my car was on a flatbed on the way to my house. It went to my house to get me home quicker and because the dealer was closed. The following morning at 9:00, a 3.2 V6 A3 was delivered and at 9:30 another flatbed collected my car and took it to the dealer. 30 hours later I had a call to say a driveshaft had been replaced and it was ready for collection. I drove to the dealer and left the hire car with them to sort out. I drove home in my car.

All in all the service I got was very good. If they could have reacted quicker initially it would have been perfect.

This seems a long way from what you're getting. I'd complain to Audi Recovery and then if necessary Audi Customer Services.

Was that before or after the do'nuts?

[ QUOTE ]
Errrm donuts a.m. Flatbed p.m.

[/ QUOTE ]

DOH! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Concensus is that the former was not related to the later. I also did a skid pan session that day (see the video) and I think when I spun out it may have put addition street on the wheel as it hit the grippy surface. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Errrm donuts a.m. Flatbed p.m.

[/ QUOTE ]

!

[ QUOTE ]
"!" ?

It was on snow : Video Link

[/ QUOTE ]

We've all done this on snow - even my Disco does it!