1.8T Battery Light

Veero

Reaction score
So driving home last night, battery light popped on and went out. Stopped at a set of lights and gave a couple of revs and it came on and stayed on.

Got home, engine off battery at 12.31v, engine running at idle 12.13v so it looks like it's not charging at all.

It was dark and I was tired so will have a poke tonight but could it be something simple like the exciter wire having a bad/no connection?

Changing the alternator doesn't look too horrific but would prefer not to get a new one, a (I assume reconditioned) new one from ECP is about £175 and I can't find a sodding discount code. Looks like they've cancelled them all.

In the past I've found that either brushes wear out or the voltage regulators fail so are either of these readily available and easily replaceable?

Any clues/experience greatly appreciated.

Veero

Ok got the alternator out, brushes look fine. Does anyone know a way to test the voltage regulator? It looks intact but who knows electrically. Bearings sound pretty dry and weren't making a great noise, may just bite the bullet and get one from ECP.