Avant rear washer water gone...

chazzy

Reaction score
and Yes i have checked the bottle, and filled it in case the outlets are different heights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I am getting water to front wipers but not to the rear, I can hear a motor/pump going when i push the lever forward but there is no water, no dribbles even from the wiper assembly or under the car. Is there a filter on the outlet? it was dark when i looked but is it possible to get to the pipe anywhere to see if the pump is actually pumping?

Chas

The tube may be disconnected so go easy on the pumping as you may be filling the car with water. This was a common problem on A3's where the pipe split on the rear wheel arch underneath the sub, soaking the rear quarter.
To check if the pump is pumping just monitor the washer level in the bottle, fill it right up to the top give it a few squirts and see if the level goes down.

Your jet at the base of the rear wiper will be blocked with muck. Pull off the plastic cover then pull off the jet which pops onto a nipple. Clean out with pin, replace and voila /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif you will have water spray again. Happened on my A4 Avant before xmas. You know how much muck gets thrown up the back of our cars, so it's no surprise really that they block up.

thanks for the pointers will try at the weekend.. fingers crossed.
Andymac, we did notice a smell of ethanol etc this morning, oh dear we thought, then realised a half finished bottle of screenwash was sitting in the map pocket. hmmm.

Chas

Andymac... which side does the water pipe go through, i'm guessing the passenger side as that is where the washer bottle is, I have water being pumped from the bottle but nothing out of the boot hole even with the jet removed, sop its being lost btween bottle and nozzle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Have looked at your stealth sub install posts for piccies but its all on very tight..

Oncve i've removed the 4 screws holding the bit of plastic with chrome on by the tail gate catch should it just pull off or are there more hidden screws, have removed load hook screws and the one on "D" pillar betweeen grey and white trim, can you remeber any more? assuming i'm going for the correct side?
cheers if you have time to reply (or ANYONE else /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )
chas

My experiences relate to a B5 A4 Avant but the info may be useful so I will relay it......
I too had no fluid at the rear screen and also thought I had a blocked washer jet.
Replacement brought no joy and then I found that there was a stong smell of washer fluid in the car and my front passenger footwell was very wet....
Peeling back the carpet (after removing n/s door sill plastic trim) I found that the plastic pipe carrying the washer fluid followed the same route as various other wires from the front bulkhead. At a junction near the top of the front footwell the washer pipe had come adrift at a push-fit union, so I redid the union,dried out the footwell and thought that was the end of the problem....
I still had no fluid at the rear though....
A very short while later my rear wiper suddenly developed a life of its own after using the wiper to clear the window....
I had to disconnect the motor to stop it from working.
Once removed from the car the reason soon became evident.
Going through the wiper arm spindle there is a metal pipe which takes the washer fluid to the base of the washer nozzle; this had corroded away with the net result that every tme the wash/wipe was used the wiper motor electrical windings were being bathed in washer fluid!
This is what caused my motor to develop a life of its own!
A complete secondhand wiper motor was obtained (rough cost £35) and when replaced cured the problem straight away.
After doing this job I then found on the A3 forum here on AudiSport.net discussion that this is a relatively common failure on A3's and there is even a repair kit for the wiper spindle available from Audi (at a cost of roughly £25-30), though few UK Audi dealers are aware of it.

HTH

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif Thanks both, all fixed (for now), decided to look at the wiper motor as the passenger footwell was dry and a friend smelt washer fluid from the rear of the car. the warning triangle was wet as well, so a bit of a giveaway, anyhway after skinning a couple of knuckles i saw the pipe was adrift from the wiper motor. I couldn't get the trim comlpletly off Itoo chicken to pull too hard) and managed to push the pipe back on. Next time its icy I won't use the rear was wipe.

PS The pipe seems to appear from the drivers side rear pillar.

Chas