Can You Replace the B6 Standard Sport Steering Wheel with a B7 Leather S-Line One?

Springer*

Reaction score
My 2003 A4 Quattro Sport has 122,000 miles on the clock and the steering wheel is pretty much worn smooth.

Whilst there are some direct replacements available online that look nice, is it possible to replace the B6 style 3-spoke steering wheel with the more modern B7 style leather one from the S-Line model?

Is the wheel hub the same or totally different?

I'm not too fussed about trying to wire up the steering wheel buttons either. I just prefer the look of the more modern B7 style wheel with the dimpled leather etc.

Any info would be a big help.

J:)

You can, but the B7 has a two stage airbag versus the single stage one of the B6. I've never seen a definitive answer as to whether the dual stage bag will work on a single stage set up.

You can replace yes it will fit straight on but as said follow one of many guides about connecting airbags up,I've done it although at a risk,also multifunction works fantastic but you may need different control module and slip ring as I did

As above........you have to take the risk that is may simply not go off in an accident due to the different systems.........hopefully you will never test this!

I've read a thread where an A3 owner changed his wheel to the newer style and it didn't go off Iin fact none of them did) in an accident, it included some nasty photos - though he was ok. I'll see if I can find it...

You'll also need an air bag, steering wheel loom, slip ring, air bag loom plug and a steering wheel control module.

Crashed my last car with the stock steering wheel but the airbag didn't deploy, same happened with my friend's car and we both suffered damage similar to that A3. Hard to trust airbags but I suppose it's nice to assume they'll work.

Thanks for the replies peeps.

Does sound like its more trouble than its worth.

Think I'll fork out for the replacment standard wheel. Seen some on fleabay for £150 that look good.

Cheers,

J:)