Help, 1.9 TDi not running

Gaz!

Reaction score
Can any one help, I changed the oil, filter and fuel filter. Ran the car up after to run the oil through the filter. Watched the GP then came back to the car and it wouldn't start. The battery died almost straight way and the fuel gauge was on zero?? There's no leaks at all but am missing 1/4 of a tank of fuel.

Ive topped it up with fuel and have fuel up to the pump on the back of the engine, but nothing, the battery is on charge but it doesnt catch.

Anyone with ideas? Need the car to take the kids to school in the morning.

last time i did a derv filter
it took a good few mins to get started

what do you mean battery on charge but doesnt catch ?

I have heard of a few people having problems when they change the fuel filter and it takes ages to start

I have never had a problem and have changed 7 or 8 of these and they just fire up and run with no trouble at all

The battery died after only about 10 secs of trying. The engine doesn't catch, it doesn't try to fire, nothing, just turns over.

I have services this car every 6 months for 5 years. Changed the fuel filter every time. Never had a problem. Until now.

How old is the battery? I've once had a TDi take a good few cranks to get going again after a fuel filter change but that was on a 3.0TDi engine.

Found it. It was drawing air in from the new HALFORDS fuel filter. Filter isnt quite right, well thats going back.

Moral of the story dont go to Halfords.

Halfords fuel filter... I would rather used an old pair of socks shoved in a baked bean can! Glad your sorted.

Reactions: SL11CKK
Glad you found the problem. When you get the proper filter, don't be alarmed if it still takes a while. I did mine and got more and more worried that I'd killed it, but suddenly it fired up and all was good. I hadn't primed the filter though, so it was probably my fault a bit too. :)