Spraying front grille surrounds

vwgtiking

Reaction score
Looking to spray these black, was looking at plasti dip but I don't think that will withstand pressure washers, however I popped into halfords and they don't have ebony pearl black. The same colour as my car. Would a Matt black or gloss black be ok???

im thinking about doing mine stin black or the flexi black paint halfords do for dashboards, its really good wearing and doesnt chip away. also used plastikote BBQ black in the past and worked well

I'd suggest wrap I sprayed mine and after 6 months I've got the odd stone chip but if its preventable go for that option il wrap mine when I get round to it

Plasti dipped my boot trim and it's fine with pressure washers, only mark it has is where some cu*t tried getting in the boot and ripped a bit out the middle :weight_lift2: been on my car etleast eight months now and still there. May wear a little worse on the front of a car, no idea.

I painted mine with plastic paint, scratched the chome up to get a good key, 4 coats of primer and about 5 or 6 coats of top coat, waiting 15 mins between coats and its fine. Did the same on my old car and it lasted over two years and only had one chip before I sold it

Lucky enough to have media blasters in work so i used a wet blast to rough the surface of my chrome and painted it with Satin Black plastic paint,so far so good.

Reactions: krisavant
Plastic paint? Just thinking of using halfords black. You guys got any pics of grilles on black audis?

Just had mine done last week although its on a silver car not a black. The body shop used matt black on the surround and audi rings.

null_zpsfe4f999a.jpg

null_zps8e65beb0.jpg

null_zps67257695.jpg

I'm not sure of exact price as I've just had the full front end resprayed so was all in the one price. Plastidip would be the cheapest option, although its not long term but if you liked it its an easy enough job to split the grill and give it a go with the paint yourself.

ive done my front grills and side window chrome in black plastidip, been a few weeks now and its all ok still, with lots of driving. :)

You can get a black grill surround from Audi if your that worried about paint

Unless you know something I don't, the grille surround isn't available as a stand alone item?

I'm amazed the thought that gone into this! I took mine off, sprayed it with Hammerite and it looked great. After about a year it looked a bit stonechipped, so I sanded it back and use Plastidip. It's as good as new still a year later.