needs some help

HuntsA4

Reaction score
You've probably read my other posts regarding problems getting a new steering rack fitted under warranty.

Well still have problems, xmas eve it started creaking like a barn door when i go from full lock to full lock, it doesn't do it everytime. but when it does its very loud. Its so bad I dare not drive it. tried working steering from lock to lock a few times in case of air locks or stiffness, but no help.

Any ideas? I know i shouldn't let it stress me so much, but with everything else thats happened this is the last straw.

should say this is after the new rack being fitted, so it shouldn't be the rack? although thats where the noise appears to be coming from

I'm puzzzled. If it was fitted under warranty then just take the car back.

I see what your saying, but as its intermittent I suspect I'll be sent away they can't replicate the fault, this happened twice when I had the original problem

my steering on my s-line does this sometimes when its wet, dealer cant find a problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

thats interesting Kenny, I'm going to hit the dealer as they open in the morning, I'll post their response.

I wonder why yours would do it only in the wet? you would think less friction would stop it not cause it?

it sounds a bit like one of the rubber boots catching on something on my car

Well for a change reasonably impressed with dealer today.
Took it in first thing and was given a courtesy car, and luckily managed to reproduce the fault for the Service manager. He was horrified.

Called me back this afternoon to say that the Steering rack fitted had a fault which has since been modified to resolve,but this rack was in their stock and to the old spec. new rack arrives and hopefully fitted tomorrow.
Lets hope this is the end of it.

2nd rack didn't work!
Audi technical have now suggested changing the Steering fluid pipes and resevoir with modified ones?? who knows

The new pipes and Resevoir have worked!! apparently the mod stops the fluid cavitating ( I think thats how its spelt) this apparently means a build up of air in the fluid which makes a noise similar to air in your domestic central heating.
Don't really care about how they did it, but they have!!
Could this also be the solution to the creaking problems on the A3 rack??

No, its not. The A3 is a totally different setup. The A3 racks have an expected delivery date of Late January.

Some B7's (mine included) are still suffering from groaning problems. The solution is to fit a modified Reservior bottle with a different restrictor in. Mines being sorted on Wednesday so I'll let you know how it goes.