avant a4 rear light loose how do they come out /tighten up?

jamesey

Reaction score
hi ive noticed damp in my rear light and just seen that its loose now ive got the bose system behind the light so it must pop out from the outside?

Open the boot, and halfway up the light cluster on the inside is a 10p sized gromet in the plastic which will pop out. Behind here is a screw (Torx I think but I can't remember) - remove this, DO NOT DROP IT. The whole light unit will then remove, from memory it pulls out from the rear and hinges out from the side. You can then unclip the loom, and all the bulbs are in a removable PCB.

Don't drop the screw.

It is a torx bit (or should be) my right one was a 10mm hex bolt now rectified :)

cheers ive lossened the screww and taken it out , the outer pins go into the rubber gromets which hold the outer light in but there not for some reason causing damp in my lamp
ive tightened the torx bolt up very tight but the lamp is still loose the other side is tight ,perfect , any clues?

Not much of an input but mines the same one right light one loose light so if any one has a fix I would be very interested

Are you saying the small ball on the light lens doesn't sit tightly in the rubber grommet of the bodywork?

Have you tried wrapping tape around it to make it fit snugger or anything?

I had damp or condensation caused by damage in the sealbeneath the outer skin.Cleaned the dirt as much as possible and spent some time on a sunny day with a hair dryer trying to dry it out .Much better now so sealed gap with some clear silicone.Fiddly job and ideally best to let it dry out naturally in the sun .Loose fit might be due to someone using the wrong screw if they have lost the original easy done .If the unit can be pushed tight against the body then the screw isn't tightening fullyIt seems the seal inside the gate can be easily left inside not outside the bodywork which lets water back in over the cluster.Not the greatest design for DIYers

ill check the screw on the other side and see if its the same or ill try the tape method lol

My NS rear lamp is a bit loose too even when the bolt is tight and the right isnt,im thinking maybe its an aftermarket part ??

All please note that its common for the tab/bracket that the bolt goes through snapping, the light is still held in by the boot lid when shut but will move around in its recess. If snapped in situ then it looks like its bolted up and you can tighten all you want but the light fitting will still be loose.

P.s mine is currently broken near side and it has been for 6 months, will swap out for a replacement when I get round to it. Light fitting can't come out while boot is closed.

sorted it,,,looked on the other side and it was a different bolt , long story short the bolt on the light sticking out was too long. nice fit now.

sorted it,,,looked on the other side and it was a different bolt , long story short the bolt on the light sticking out was too long. nice fit now.
Thought so must be common.Why didn't they design it to stop the blot dropping out/