Replaced Fuel Injection Pump - Can't Get ECU Pin Code

What's the part number of your old pump originally fitted to the car ? It looks the "new" pump you got it's a dud...

Is there instruction on how to do the adaptation to a new diesel pump to the car - i have currently bought a recon pump but with a brand new ecu on it will i need a pin from the old pump. only code i got is the immobilizer ..thanks

Is there instruction on how to do the adaptation to a new diesel pump to the car - i have currently bought a recon pump but with a brand new ecu on it will i need a pin from the old pump. only code i got is the immobilizer ..thanks

It's been a while since I even looked at the car, as it isn't top of my agenda right now. The only code I ever had for mine was for the immobiliser, but from what I've read, it didn't need coded to the car because it was a 2001 car. I have had the car running (probably a month ago), but it required Easy Start to get it going for about a good five minutes, but was still belching smoke and going through diesel like nobodys business. Even managed to check the timing in VCDS and it shows as being right on the middle of the three lines. Someone else mentioned they were a ****** to set right, with even tighening the tensioner pulley being enough to knock it off again. I suppose at some stage I will have to have another proper go at it, but ain't holding my breath.

Reactions: moyes
It's been a while since I even looked at the car, as it isn't top of my agenda right now. The only code I ever had for mine was for the immobiliser, but from what I've read, it didn't need coded to the car because it was a 2001 car. I have had the car running (probably a month ago), but it required Easy Start to get it going for about a good five minutes, but was still belching smoke and going through diesel like nobodys business. Even managed to check the timing in VCDS and it shows as being right on the middle of the three lines. Someone else mentioned they were a ****** to set right, with even tighening the tensioner pulley being enough to knock it off again. I suppose at some stage I will have to have another proper go at it, but ain't holding my breath.

These cars are some troublesome once the pump goes, just out of curiosity. i have been quoted by audi 150 to program the pump to the car ecu some garage say its only the dealer who can program these. i got the ross tech cable and k line to extract the pin and program even though i got the instruction to do it worried just in case i brick the ECU only error i get is immobilizer block no other issue apart from that.. thanks

You will need the Immo pin in order to match a pump to the ECU, however it's quite an involved procedure as you need to read the pin then wipe the info in the memory of the pump in order to get the information from new cluster and ECU. I have done it many, many times before and if using cheap tools to extract the pin you have high chances to brick the instrument cluster so i advise you to read it from the ECU dump- however not many tools can do that ! Please be aware that the rb4 and rb8 clusters as used on the b6 platform are prone to brick-ing- ask me how i know that ! How far from N. London are you ?

Reactions: moyes
You will need the Immo pin in order to match a pump to the ECU, however it's quite an involved procedure as you need to read the pin then wipe the info in the memory of the pump in order to get the information from new cluster and ECU. I have done it many, many times before and if using cheap tools to extract the pin you have high chances to brick the instrument cluster so i advise you to read it from the ECU dump- however not many tools can do that ! Please be aware that the rb4 and rb8 clusters as used on the b6 platform are prone to brick-ing- ask me how i know that ! How far from N. London are you ?

Thanks for the info mate, i am based in Birmingham trust me there's no much experts here. I got a Ross tech vcds to program the pump ecu and also super k line device one of those which read pin from ecu and cluster but not if it reads the immbolizer can you read stuff from the pump, i bought this pump from bloke burton who does recons and put brand new bosch ecu(VP44) on cost me 630 its been calibrated and test via approved bosch in poland which he sends off. i am confused.com any info will help dont mind paying for some instruction.

Hi. Sorry to jump in on your discussion. Similar problem. Had pump reconditioned by diesel bob last week try to start yesterday and fault engine block by immob show on vagcom. I understand that I need to programme pump for the car but where do I find the codes for the new pump ecu? Any help much app

A final update on this from my side., and some embarrassment as well :oops:. I finally have the car up and running sweet as can be. It goes for its MOT in a fortnights time and then to be sold (to fund my other car). So, just in case someone is doing this and isn't mechanically minded (like me), I'll let you know where I went wrong (big time).

First up, many many thanks to all those who put forward suggestions and procedures for doing this. I have to admit cutting corners on one major part though. As part of fitting the pump onto the toothed belt, I used ElsaWin and turned the engine over until OT was visible through the oil filler in the engine. My (very wrong) assumption was that the engine was now aligned properly, and proceeded to fit the pump, which resulted in the issues of difficult starting and continuous plumes of white smoke and running like a tractor.

I have to say that I suffer from depression, so since things don't go right, I leave it, and that was the way with the car. Every so often I would go and have another go at sorting it out, with the same result. Then for some reason, I decided that I would follow the ElsaWin instructions 'to the letter' and bought the locking kit of eBay. Remember, I'm not mechanically minded, and this sounded an even more difficult and awkward job to do. So, after the kit had been lying around for literally weeks, I set about fitting it.

This is when I discovered what had been going wrong. I aligned the engine initially to get the OT as before. When I then went to fit the locking plates, I noticed that the camshafts weren't aligned with the slots, and the locking pin wouldn't fit either. Using a cheap boroscope (off eBay) I finally managed to get the hole aligned, and fitted the pin. The locking plate just slipped into place. I then locked the pump and fitted it, and then put the battery on overnight charge.

Next morning, connected the battery (which was on its last legs) and also used jump leads from the other car. Got in and turned the key. The car started literally within a second. I got tons of white smoke out the back, but considering how much unburnt diesel had pumped through the exhaust over the previous months, that's to be expected. Connected up VCDS and let it do the timing. It has been running fine ever since, with the only additions being a new battery and some REDEX in the fuel tank.

Moral of the (long) story is follow the instructions to the letter, even if it does mean you have to learn something new. About the only place I went wrong was relying on the information given to me by the mechanic. If I had VCDS beforehand, I would have been able to pull the error codes when I first had the problem and the J399 wouldn't been there. That took me down the wrong route which cost me £250 for a dud pump, £150 for the mechanic to fit it and whatever it cost me to have the immobiliser disabled, none of which was necessary.

So, once again, a very big thank you to all those who contributed their knowledge. It wasn't wasted, it just took some time to sink in.