Looking to buy 1.9 TDI Sport Tiptronic or 2.5 TDI 180 Quattro Sport - Advice

torx

Reaction score
Just joined. I am looking to buy one of the two mentioned cars:

1.9 TDI Sport Tiptronic / 54 reg / 65K Miles / FSH

or

2.5 TDI 180 Quattro Sport / Manual / 53 Reg / 73k Miles / FSH

Not sure which to go for and have a few questions.

Firstly on the 1.9, which after reading a lot on the net seems to be the safest buy. However I am confused about the Tiptronic box it is advertised as. From what I have read the Tiptronic boxes are only fitted in the Quattro's, could there be a chance this 1.9 is actually fitted with a Tiptronic box? Should I stay away from the Multitronic version because of the known problems or are these later versions ok? How can I check what box is fitted in the car without actually physically being there, can I get the seller to check what it states in the service book or somewhere else?

Moving on to the 2.5, having had a cam belt at 40k, it will be coming up to another cam belt change at 80k. Having to buy road tax as well if I bought it, it would cost me near enough another 1k. Which is not a problem if bought at the right price. Although I prefer to go for this one how many people have actually had major engine problems with this version is it loads or just a minor few? Would you know what sort of age/mileage this is happening at?

Also on the 2.5 would any of them come from the factory with twin exhausts (one either side)? Or even just one going straight out the back on left side (most I have seen curve under the bumper)?

2.5Q all day long for me, although I admit I'm biased. The V6 noise and the extra power combined with quattro drive makes it a winner. The early 2.5's suffered a bit with soft cams, and the engine has a (slightly justified) reputation for being fragile, but if you maintain it right it shouldn't let you down.

All 2.5's have an exhaust exit at either side, but they're swept down pipes hidden behind the valance.

I'm not an expert on the gearbox's, personally I'd not buy a multitronic, but plenty run them with no issues. I don't think tiptronics are only fitted to quattro's, but only tiptronics are fitted to quattro's if that makes sense ie fwd can have either.

Ask the vendor for the gearbox code from the data sticker or V5 (If it's on it).

2.5Q all day long for me, although I admit I'm biased. The V6 noise and the extra power combined with quattro drive makes it a winner. The early 2.5's suffered a bit with soft cams, and the engine has a (slightly justified) reputation for being fragile, but if you maintain it right it shouldn't let you down.

All 2.5's have an exhaust exit at either side, but they're swept down pipes hidden behind the valance.

Thanks for the reply. When you say early 2.5's, would you say the one I have mentioned is a later one if it was registered in Jan 2004?

As for the exhaust I can only see a picture of the left rear of the car so wasn't sure if it was twin exhausts or not. This does have the exhausts coming straight out with the small cut outs on the bumper rather than the usual swept type as you mention. I wonder if this was done after manufacture.

(looks same as link, taken photo from another thread on here: http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c289/arronstoddart/100_0390.jpg )

I'm not an expert on the gearbox's, personally I'd not buy a multitronic, but plenty run them with no issues. I don't think tiptronics are only fitted to quattro's, but only tiptronics are fitted to quattro's if that makes sense ie fwd can have either.

Ask the vendor for the gearbox code from the data sticker or V5 (If it's on it).

Thanks for the info. What should the code be for a multitronic box and the code be for a tiptronc box?

If it's a diesel and has visible tips like that then someone has converted it, it's not oem.

2004 is definitely a later 2.5, they were produced from 2001-2004!

There will be lots of different gearbox codes, I can't hope to know them all! But if you find out what it is then you'll be able find out what gearbox it relates to.

Thanks. Not sure if I should go with something modified then as I don't know what else might have been tampered with. Although I like the exhausts straight out rather than swept under it gives me the impression its been had by someone who may have caned it.

I'll see if I can come back with the codes. Thanks for your help.

The 2.5 has also been debadged and looks exactly like the one given in the link above.

That's an S4 rear bumper if it looks like the one in the link.

Whilst I share your concerns over a modified car, I wouldn't assume that just because an enthusiast has owned it that it's been caned...

Take your point on that one, can't always be the case. I am still interested in it, so I may just go for it tomorrow. I'll either be back with a car or gearbox codes.

Often those who modify their cars look after them most, as they are their pride and joy. I'd probably rather have a modified car than a granny's car which has only ever had a cold engine and been dinged from every supermarket around the country!

The exhaust mod is fairly common, since the 2.5TDI Quattro has the two exhaust pipes anyway so it's relatively simple for a nice effect..

Good luck searching tomorrow, and let us know how you get on!

If you find a good 2.5 then you really won't be dissaponited. I drove a few 1.9's when I was looking but I'm absolutely made up with my 2.5. The engine note, smooth delivery, torque and quattro make me smile every time I'm in it.......just wish I'd found them earlier. Mines just about to turn 190K and I can't justify changing it even though I could.......it's as reliable as a wood burning stove, more torque than most other cars on the road, practicality in spades and it's arguably the best looking estate there is.

Reactions: quattrojames
Although the 1.9 is advertised as a Tiptronic I am pretty sure it will be a Multi as I can't see another saying Tiptronic for a 1.9. Also reading threads it seems all FWD are strictly Multi.

Do these gearbox problems on the Multis in most cases happen during low mileage? Seems thats when it gets picked up mostly. Is it safe to say that with this car having done 65k any gearbox problems would have already been picked up and repaired?

If you find a good 2.5 then you really won't be dissaponited. I drove a few 1.9's when I was looking but I'm absolutely made up with my 2.5. The engine note, smooth delivery, torque and quattro make me smile every time I'm in it.......just wish I'd found them earlier. Mines just about to turn 190K and I can't justify changing it even though I could.......it's as reliable as a wood burning stove, more torque than most other cars on the road, practicality in spades and it's arguably the best looking estate there is.

Thanks. I do have a slight issue with MPG, 90% of my driving will be in town. I doubt most of my journeys will ever get the engine up to operating temperature, the journeys are that short. I'm not far from work, should get the push bike out but I'm the lazy type.

My current car is a petrol, ideally that's the fuel I should be on but I really want a diesel for some strange reason.

Still deciding between the two...........

I don't do much motorway driving now and generally just potter to the shops with a rare motorway blast. I get 34 mpg on VPower. The 1.9 will be better on fuel but if your not doing much mileage (under 10k) it really isn't going to make that much difference on the wallet.
I'd say the slightly higher fuel bills are well worth the lazy, smooth power delivery......and when you want some poke, it's there.

I would not go for a multitronic box, one of my mates has a 2004 audi a6 which he bought it with a multitronic/CVT box, it broke down 1 year after he bought it and it's been repaired before. He fixed it once more then the box packed up for good. I have done a manual gearbox swap and he hasn't looked back since !

Thanks, I will avoid it then. It seems everything I look at (apart from the 1.9 tdi manual) has its problems. What are the manufacturers playing at, they sure seem to get theirs monies worth.

Thanks, I will avoid it then. It seems everything I look at (apart from the 1.9 tdi manual) has its problems. What are the manufacturers playing at, they sure seem to get theirs monies worth.

I would say it's a much safer option going for a 1.9 PD130 with a manual gearbox.

I have had a2.5tdiQ manual and now have a Tiptronic and my son used to have a1.9Q manual.Like you I do most of my miles locally and the 2.5 is thirsty but its a torquey engine and easy to like.Again I would not risk the multitronic.The 2.5 belts should last 75k so wont need doing yet unless too old.I would be careful with these unusually low mileages especially if dealers are involved

Thanks for the replies guys. I have ditched these options and have decided to raid the savings and go for a b8 2.0 tdi 143 or a Merc C250 CDI.