Junction woes.

Audi0

Reaction score
Hi!

I've recently become the proud owner of a 2001 A4 b6 1.8t Automatic. It hasn't even reached 60,000 miles yet and is immaculate inside and out.

I love it other than one irritating problem.

At a busy junction or roundabout while looking for a gap to pull out, the car takes a second to begin pulling away causing me to let off the accelerator and wait for the next available gap, it's made me look a bit silly on a number of occasions.

Is this normal and I just need to put up with it, or is this a problem that I need to get sorted?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Welcome to the forum, is the car tiptronic or multitronic (cvt)?

if it's multitronic has it had the 7 clutch upgrade? I have a multitronic and don't really have any issues at junctions, remember it's a big car and has a turbo so will take a little time to get moving.

Also if it's the multitronic please check that it's had it's transmission oil replaced at 40k, people not changing the oil is a big factor in the issues people have with these gearboxes.

Hi there, thanks for your replies.

The car is multitronic and service records show that the ATF was changed at 43000 miles. I'm afraid I don't know whether it had the 7 clutch upgrade.

It's worth googling "multitronic juntion forum" and looking at some of the posts. Where do you live? If you are local to Oxford you are welcome to give mine a try and see how it compares. I think older Auto's will always be a bit more lazy on pulling away over a manual.

It's worth googling "multitronic juntion forum" and looking at some of the posts. Where do you live? If you are local to Oxford you are welcome to give mine a try and see how it compares. I think older Auto's will always be a bit more lazy on pulling away over a manual.

Many thanks for the offer, but I'm located in Cornwall, although an excuse to give my car a good run would have been nice. Haha.

Thanks for the forum link jbh, but I'm not experiencing a judder, just a delay pulling away.

As you said madmike01uk, it is a large car and I'm probably expecting a bit too much from it. I've always been used to a manual and perhaps just need to adjust my driving style a bit for the car.

Many thanks for your time.

Hi Audio

I drive a multitronic 1.8t 190 and going from all manual cars previously, I have noticed that you have to tune your driving style slightly. It does have a slight delay between you pressing the accelerator and the gearbox engaging. I believe this to be normal and must say I noticed it quite a lot when I first got the car but I don't anymore. You just change your driving style to suit.
It is without a doubt one of the nicest cars to drive I have ever driven. I have owned my car for over 2 years now and I still enjoy driving it.
I also drive an s3 so in comparison it is a heavier car so not as quick but imo the ride is more comfortable and refined .
You will read many horror stories regarding the multitronic box which had me worried at the beginning but mine has been good as gold, just make sure the Cvt oil is changed regularly and you will be fine.

Mark

yeah as above you may just need to adjust to the car by getting on a gas a little earlier, I honestly don't notice a delay on mine, I'm not 100% certain I have the 7 clutch upgrade on mine, it had a new gearbox in 2009 so I think it would have.

They are a nice car to drive and deceptively quick as they don't really rev like normal cars. I've often given it a bit of a boot in manual mode and I think you appreciate the acceleration a bit more in this mode.

I plan on getting my gearbox oil changed in the coming weeks as it's done 20k since the last one, it should cost around £125+VAT so well worth doing for peace of mind.