What a PITA the rear brakes are!

Mike.M

Reaction score
I think I am quite a good hands on person when it comes to cars.

Decided to change the rear discs and pads which I have done on loads of cars but these 8mm hex bolts on the carriers are a PITA to remove.......I failed and had to put it all back together.

I have read you can turn the hub to a certain position to utilise a notch on the back of the hub mount to slide the disc out so will have another go when I can...........any other ideas welcome

I think I am quite a good hands on person when it comes to cars.

Decided to change the rear discs and pads which I have done on loads of cars but these 8mm hex bolts on the carriers are a PITA to remove.......I failed and had to put it all back together.

I have read you can turn the hub to a certain position to utilise a notch on the back of the hub mount to slide the disc out so will have another go when I can...........any other ideas welcome

Try Irwin bolt extractor. If bolt isn't rounded, them hammer in decent quality allen bit and use extension to lever.

Yeah im with you mike i did these earlier in the year. After some strong words and brute strength i managed to undo the carrier bolts and get the disc off. ****** hard work mate you have my sympathy pal, :friends:

Beyond a big bar I can't offer any words of wisdom, only reassurance that you're not the only person who has had this problem!

Cheers all.

Going to give them another go soon and buying a new 1/2" 8mm hex socket to go on my big torque wrench

Errr - I'm no expert, but surely that won't do a torque wrench much good? Just get a breaker bar and possibly add something like a chunk of scaffold pipe to give even more leverage if necessary.

+1 for the irwin bolt extractor.

Did mine a few years ago & had to use the irwin to get the job done ( only needed to do the top bolt & bash the carrier with a rubber mallet to move it n inch to be able to get the new disc on) & new bolts from Audi were only a couple of quid.

On my B7, I manged to get the old disc out without removing the carrier. Took a few attempts and some hammering, but they were getting replaced anyway. I used them to see if i can put them on again without too much damage. They do go back on, so I put on the new discs with the carrier still in place with 0 damage. They kinda rotate in. Cant explain though, but they can go in and out with the carrier there!

Cheers......will have a look soon, but time is not on my side at the moment.

i did mine a few weeks ago, the discs come out with a wiggle and no need to undo the hex bolts and remove the carriers