AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport

Thread: Jammed wipers

1st Gear

Status

Jammed wipers

Hi,just spent a couple of hours stripping my front wiper linkage to find the driver side was totally solid.After attempting to drift it out with a hammer and loads of wd40 i had to use a blow lamp which worked fine.My problem is that on re-assembly the driver side wiper blade now holds off the windscreen at about half stroke.I have taken all the bezels back off and tried adjusting the three linkage bolts with no success.Do you think that the initial attack with the hammer bent the linkage frame slightly.The spindle itself is ok since after cleaning and greasing it slid back into its housing perfectly.

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    i had this i found the linkage was slightly out of shape because of the use of the hammer, i bent the bottom of the arm slightly to counter act it
    Mods done: interior: Light to dark conversion, To Do: Carbon trim, carpet to be replaced, rear window retrofit. Exterior: Resprayed in Skoda's Rallye Green, 18" RS4 reps fitted, xenons, LED sidelights/NumberPlate lights, B Pillars wrapped in carbon. To Do: Lowering 35mm all round, tints, Tuning: Yet to do exhaust/remap/ egr delete etc..

Neutral

Status
    Just done this myself, but when gently drifting out the spindle the aluminium bracket actually broke off!! Had to glue it back on, which actually worked well in the end. The brackets should be at 90 degs angle to the spindle. It should be easy to see if they are bent? Is the wiper arm seated on the spline of the spindle properly?

Tom.

1st Gear

Status
    could it be possible that when i hit the top of the wiper retaining nut with a hammer to shock the arm loose it actually bent the body panel downwards where the linkage bolts to thus changing the spindle angle.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by stuhow3361 View Post
    could it be possible that when i hit the top of the wiper retaining nut with a hammer to shock the arm loose it actually bent the body panel downwards where the linkage bolts to thus changing the spindle angle.
    Possibly. But that's a seriously strong bit of the car I'd have thought. I can't believe you did what you said you did though.

5th Gear

Status
    I doubt it - I also bent the wiper arm mechanism when removing the spindles.
    I gave up in the end and bought a 2nd hand one from ebay that was freely moving.
    I stripped this one down with ease and re-fitted.

1st Gear

Status
    sounds like i'll have to do this as well,tried numerous adjustments but the blade still lifts off the screen right in the middle of my sight line.

1st Gear

Status
    No other way to get them off.Tried a pullers initially but it only bent the frame as i tightened it.

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    sounds like i'll have to do this as well,tried numerous adjustments but the blade still lifts off the screen right in the middle of my sight line.
    I had this problem, albeit not after doing the mechanism, and I sorted it by bending the wiper arm slightly to apply more pressure to the screen in the middle.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

1st Gear

Status
    For next time - Wiper Arms Seized Onto Spindle! has the solution!

1st Gear

Status
    Tried this as well but it does not make much difference - looks like a new wiper mech for me.On a different subject you seem to be the guy in the know,i'm looking for a roof spoiler for my avant and have seen many aftermarket ones on e-bay.Any suggestions as to best fit or oem only.

1st Gear

Status
    Tried this as well but it does not make much difference - looks like a new wiper mech for me.On a different subject you seem to be the guy in the know,i'm looking for a roof spoiler for my avant and have seen many aftermarket ones on e-bay.Any suggestions as to best fit or oem only.
    Me? I can't help there I'm afraid but I guess there are plenty of far more knowledgeable folk who will know. Quite interested in the answer myself as it happens.

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Some people have bought these and found them 'ok'..

Audi A4 Avant Spoiler | eBay

OEM is approx £150 and probably worth the extra for fit etc, or by something like this:

Audi S4 (A4) Avant Estate Tailgate & S4 Spoiler & Badge [B6, B7, Avant] | eBay

... and sell the rest on again.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.