infamous oil thread

Reaction score
I know, i know- but I've searched through past threads and nobody seems sure of their answers!

Doing the first oil change on my 1.8t 190 since i got it.
Really don't know the best oil to use! Its not so much finding the right one, its avoiding the wrong ones!

Cheers all

it's either 5/30 or 5/40 depending on car useage, i have always used 5/40 in our car (same as yours) with no issues winter or summer, use a genuine filter you have a choice of 2 one is a lot bigger than the other and is nearly 3 times the price. Personally i use Millers oils and bought 5 litres delivered for under £35.00 it was XFS longlife but i change it every year

as above correct spec is 5w30 but if you drive the car hard id reccomend 5w40 so it doesnt loose its viscosity after a few thousand miles normally aspirated cars will get away with 5w30 but the turbo can get very hot on a 1.8t and break down the oil quite quick

i use fuch titan in all 3 of my cars very good oil and not that expensive

Eurocarparts have an offer on for QX fully synth 5/40 about £20 with filter.

Asda has decent prices on Castrol Edge. Personally use Quantum Longlife which is a sub devision of Castrol used by manufacturers and far cheaper whilst meeting all oil specifications, supposedly Edge is better though.