Help! 2.5 tdi ake cam torque setting

stuartclarke

Reaction score
Hi, I am in the middle of swapping the cams in my car
but need the torque settings for the bolts holding the cams down
i did some digging around on the net and found a link saying to do them at 20 nm but it doesn't seem right to me

Can someone please put me out of my misery?
thanks
stuart

Last edited:
Hi, I am in the middle of swapping the cams in my car
but need the torque settings for the bolts holding the cams down
i did some digging around on the net and found a link saying to do them at 20 nm but it doesn't seem right to me

Can someone please put me out of my misery?
thanks
stuart

Pm quattrojames and he'll be able to help you. Give your engine code too.

Thanks Sl11ckk

I managed to get the torque settings in the end.

I now have the problem starting the car, I know the pump timing is going to be out as I've had the pulleys off.

I can get it to crank and fire for approx. 2 seconds but then it dies, there also white smoke from the exhaust.

A friend of mine was cranking the engine whilst I was bleeding the injectors and I could see that there is air along the clear tube that goes from the diesel filter to the pump.

Is there a way of bleeding the pump? all the injectors sprayed diesel when I cracked them open

Thanks,
Stuart

If manual gearbox then easier to tow the car whilst in 2nd or 3rd gear to expel the air, the vp44 are very hard to bleed, even on cars fitted with lift pumps ! Also a sniff of brake cleaner spray in the intake will get it going, be careful not to hydrolock the engine though !

Hi Chris,

the car is a manual quattro

I was thinking about towing but I wanted to start the car and run it for 5 mins then re-check all the bolts & belts to make sure nothing moves.

I currently have the front end in bits still, is there a way off using a vacuum/syringe to remove the air?

Thanks,
Stuart

When I have done this in the past, I have loosened the top nuts on the injectors - so the pipes are loose.
Iv then cranked the engine til diesel starts pulsing out, then tightened them one by one whilst still cranking.

When I have done this in the past, I have loosened the top nuts on the injectors - so the pipes are loose.
Iv then cranked the engine til diesel starts pulsing out, then tightened them one by one whilst still cranking.

Thanks,

Ill give this another go tonight.

Can anyone tell me what position i should set the pulley for the diesel pump, as I understand I have to get the car started and run up to temperature before setting it using vcds to see which way I need to go

Thanks,
Stuart

Thanks,

Ill give this another go tonight.

Can anyone tell me what position i should set the pulley for the diesel pump, as I understand I have to get the car started and run up to temperature before setting it using vcds to see which way I need to go

Thanks,
Stuart

At last,

Car finally spluttered into life 2 battery chargers later, I had a friend crank the engine whilst I cracked open the injector lines 1 at a time.

The car is much quieter now it has new cams, and runs much smoother before the engine would rock whilst idling

The picture below shows the amount of ware the rockers had, a few of these were stuck in the oil returns that I retrieved before removing the old cams, also some thrust pads were found in the sump but all were accounted for, on removing the old tappets some of them were that worn that they had no heads for the rockers to sit on

I also opted to change all belts, pulleys, water pump, thermostat, gaskets and oil separator. all for a good price from Automotorcraft recommended by Adamss24 many times on this site

One other thing that I think is worth mentioning is the cambelt, I have heard horror stories of Dayco cambelts, mine had just over 15000 miles before it was due to be changed and was ripped and frayed along both side with cracks showing on the underside (Toothed side) when taken off, I have replaced all belt with contitech ones

Thanks to everyone who helped me

Attachments

• rockers.jpg
    rockers.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 386
Glad you got it all sorted. Are you a mechanic by trade?

I had a forum member help me out (actually... do 90% of it for me!) when I drained out a thrust pad from the sump.

Yours were much worse than mine were, mines 25,000 miles on and still perfect - used the same kit as yourself.
I'm hoping with regular 5k oil changes the engine will see me past 200,000 miles.

Glad you got it all sorted. Are you a mechanic by trade?

I had a forum member help me out (actually... do 90% of it for me!) when I drained out a thrust pad from the sump.

Yours were much worse than mine were, mines 25,000 miles on and still perfect - used the same kit as yourself.
I'm hoping with regular 5k oil changes the engine will see me past 200,000 miles.

Hi Alex,

No im not a mechanic by trade, but I have been doing all repairs/services on cars since I was 15. The whole job took me 8.5 hours and I still have the top cam covers and front bumper to put on, this will get done when I get the car back, at the moment it’s at a local garage (sporttech) having the diesel pump timed as I don't have a cable

I was thinking of doing changes at 10k intervals, should I be doing them earlier?
Also can I use the later 507 spec oil or should I stick to 505