Windscreen Replacement

palfy86

Reaction score
So last week i decided to contact my insurance company to get my windscreen replaced as it has more chips than dave's plaice round the corner.

Turns out it'll be supplied and fitted by national windscreens who ive arranged to come to my house next weekend,thought id give them time to source a oem quality screen etc.

Has anybody used this company before? and is there anything i need to look out for regards the fit afterwards.

ive had my windscreen replaced twice
both times the company turned up with non genuine screens ... one of which i had to have fitted as i needed the car
i arranged for them to cme back out afterwards and swap it for a genuine screen
the other make was terrible it was magnifying certain areas and not others
i would ring and speak to the company and insist on the windscreen being a genuine audi or pilkington screen

Yeah i stressed to the guy at national when he rang me to arrange date etc i wanted a oem screen and he said it'll be a saint gobain Sekurit windscreen which just so happens to be etched below the audi rings on my current screen so it should be spot on.

He also seemed pretty clued up about the features of the glass ie. slight fadeout at the top and black dotted border etc etc.

just make sure you show the fitter that theres no damage to the plastic below the screen
and check when hes fitted the screen
they break them all the time and dont tell you

Nice one bez think im gunna be one of those annoying customers no one likes that stand and watch his every move haha

I dont blame you mate seeing as how many windscreens are replaced with associated parts being damaged whilst fitting and then the company refuses to acknowledge the damage caused by their own employees.

****** me right off!

yes bez is spot on
they broke mine then tried to suggest it was broken allready

Are we talking about the bottom scuttle panel that grabs the screen, around the wiper spindles etc?

yes also make sure they refit it right aswell

yeah ill keep my beady eyes on him. if its the guy i spoke to on the phone he mentioned he recently did one on his mate b6 cab so id have thought he knows what he's doing, but we'll see.

Can you let us know how it goes? I'm about to make the same sort of phone call - I suspect that'll I'll have to have a replacement scuttle trim anyway as it already has a small crack from my failed attempt to get it off when I was dealing with slow wipers. Mike.

Right just had the windscreen replaced this morning by national windscreens and im very happy with the quality of service they provided and the care they took fitting the glass. The technician was very pleased that id plusgas'd the wiper soindles the night before and left them to soak as they came off with ease. :icon_thumright: Even though a little confused to as why i wanted the screen replacing in the first place as it wasnt cracked but then i pointed out all the scratches, grazes and chips and i think he began to see it my way lol.

However i wasnt to impressed when they decided to use the roof of the car as a workbench for bits of trim and also my car keys which he decided to place while i was off making him a morning coffee.

I know the car is dirty and is going for paint correction in two weeks time but really?

But besides this they did a good job, the glass was (as told on the phone) a saint gobain sekurit screen with the gradual tint etc so top marks there i guess. He informed me at the end not to drive the car for a hour and dont make the mistake of many and wash the car for at least 24 hours so that was good.

Hope this helps guys.

Mike he handled it very well, obviously familiar with the audi/vag setups. i was pretty impressed at his knowledge actually, nothing was broken and everything went back together great.

Reactions: Mike_B
had my screen replaced yesterday by autoglass due to a crack.The job went great as i stripped out the cowling and the wiper arms ready.Plenty of silicone spray or fairy liquid on parts before re-assembly and the jobs a good un.