Standard to aftermarket

Innocence80

Reaction score
I am looking to swap out my standard stereo (because it's crap!) and replace it with a sony unit, what sort of connecting harness will I need for the wiring. Hoping there is a plug and play solution.

Ive got the same stereo and to be honest ive never had it out (pardon the expression) but given the resources i have access to at work it looks as though its on standard ISO leads two oblong blocks. Might depend if you have bose system as well.

Have a search through the "in car entertainment" threads innocence80 sure it'll be mentioned in there. :thumbsup:

Probably best thing you can do is whip it out and take a peek before you get buying any leads and possibly things you dont need.

How do I know if I have the full Bose system? I have the Bose speakers but haven't noticed any amps or anything but I haven't exaclty looked either!

Im not 100% on this and im sure folks will jump in and correct me but id imagine if you've got the bose speakers you'll have the full system, amps etc are usually tucked away out of sight ( in the boot walls etc)

Does the headunit say bose when you turn it on? As far as I know the bose units do. As for the full system, i'd say it's very likely if you've got bose speakers, unless someone has just upgraded them, or stuck new grills on?!

Amps are in the boot as above. The drivers side boot compartment is where my amp is housed. It should say bose on there i'd imagine.

if you dont mind me asking why sony ?

the best thing you can do is go to a local independant store and have a listen to a few units from differant manufacturers
they will also be able to advise you which lead will fit whatever unit you prefer
sony have not made great head units for quite some time , pioneer and alpine are still making fantastic units
if you want something that looks like its a standard factory fit look for a make called "becker" or rarer still "nakamichi"
they are both very standard looking but match the insides of an audi quite nicely

Sony because I have the headunit sat at home, had it a couple of years now and I like it, means I can plug my ipod into it etc. Don't want to buy another headunit if I don't have to.

no problem
if its something you allready have
drop into an independant car audio store and ask them if they have a lead which is suitable for sony

Had a quick glance in the boot this morning, couldn't see anything and don't want to start pulling the car to bits, there is a cover which says 12v on it, looks like its for a fag lighter type connection though.

You have to take the side panel out of the boot to see the amp, takes seconds and goes back in to place easily.

You will need the adaptor that converts the outputs of the Sony to match the inputs of the Audi/Bose amp, adaptor for the aerial, a 12v switched live from the fusebox or similar.
Does your Sony unit have RCA outputs?

You have to take the side panel out of the boot to see the amp, takes seconds and goes back in to place easily.

You will need the adaptor that converts the outputs of the Sony to match the inputs of the Audi/Bose amp, adaptor for the aerial, a 12v switched live from the fusebox or similar.
Does your Sony unit have RCA outputs?

Erm....I think so! :uhm:

Well I don't have an amp so managed to get an ISO but the aerial is knackered so need a new connector for that.

Well I don't have an amp.
ALL Audi OE head units use an external amp:
- if you have Bose then it's a 4 channel amp
- if you don't have Bose then it's a 2 channel amp for the rear speakers with the front speakers connected directly to the head unit.

Right, my head unit is finally in after 3 different tries with ISO cables and a bit of playing around to get the amp to fire up! I have the Bose system. Some idiot though has cut the end of the FM aerial, so need to get this fixed as only able to get heart fm at the mo!