DIY Air con re gas / top up

Ian2012

Reaction score
Just out of interest has anyone ever tried using one of these cans i keep seeing in Halfords? Are they any good do they work?

Hi pal, I've never tried one but from my days if working in a garage and using ac machines, I imagine these DIY ac are just for topping the lost gasses over time u lose, i don't know how much they cost but I think you'd be better taking it to a garage or a mobile ac man for a full ac regas with a good vacuum to suck any moisture that might have built up over time!Our garage used to sell regases on the idea of bacteria that breeds in ac systems apparently it does with the cold conditions etc.
I once vacuum'ed my own car for an hour and half and the system was just above freezing having a nice patch on the windscreen!
Wish I had access to an ac machine now my a4 needs a regas when I've replaced the g65!

Hey, did this at halfords last week.

Like having a new air con system!

Cost £35 and still have half a canister I can use next year. Obviously only any good if it is a re gas not compressor issue.

does this add oil to the system? You can get a full proper regas for around £30 so seems a bit pointless to me.

I was told to stay away from these DIY kits as they contain chemicals that may degrade / damage the air-con system over time.

Also if theres a problem its wasted money and gas. Kwik fit (did) ? have policy with the ac ,if thers no change in temp then no charge.
Ive been there twice,1st no change in cool air,no charge.
2nd time changed pressure sensor,still no temp change=no charge.

Thinks its new compressor time :-(