headlights are apaulling, is this normal

technics100

Reaction score
I have a 2002 tdi 130bhp and the lights are awful to say the least, is this normal? When side lights are on the only light that is lit is a bulb under the main bulb see pic 1
light10ol.jpg

When normal driving lights are on (dipped lights the small light besides the large lights up aswell. see pic 2
light20um.jpg

When full beam is on only the large light is lit. pic 3
light33ow.jpg

I thought that the car might of had dual filament bulbs that would of lit when on normal driving lights...

is this normal...or any ideas how to upgrade the quality of my lights, there verging on dangerous at night and i'm driving with my spots on, to give me extra lights

cheers

You could upgrade the bulbs as the stanadard ones are not very good,

You may have a fault when switched to main beam as I think all 3 should be on in this mode, The whole road will light up when my main beam is on, i have upgraded my bulbs though.

Even with the bulb upgrade i am not that impressed....it is better but still awful compared to other cars i have driven. Audi sort your lights out!!!!

I think it is the projector style lense on them, cuts out too much light for a regular halgen bulb, look nice, but doesnt do the business.

Seriously though, I have the standard lights on my A4 and although not nearly as good, I havent found them too bad having changed the bulbs to bosche blue.
One thing I am surprised at and will check is that you seem to indicate that your ordinary main beam goes off when on high beam?.

There is the knob inside the car beside the headlight switch, but also a 6mm plastic allen head adjuster on the headlight itself. you should be able to adjust it here. I did mine and they have improved a bit. Also changed the dip bulbs for xenon filled ones..

cool cheers, dont fancy needing to remove the headlights to change the bulb tho /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
cool cheers, dont fancy needing to remove the headlights to change the bulb tho /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It might look daunting but its pretty easy just take your time loosen the bottom too screws do NOT REMOVE just loosen and remove the top ones and they just slide out with a little side to side coaxing. Make sure you place something like a cloth under the light as its coming out so as not to scratch your bumper. After you do it first time you will wonder what all the fuss is about mate.

If you want all the lights to turn on when you hit the high beams then you can recode your electrical control module using Vag-com.

Also since you have a 2002 you can recode it so that you can turn your fog lights on while your small city bulb is on.

[ QUOTE ]
Also since you have a 2002 you can recode it so that you can turn your fog lights on while your small city bulb is on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fog lights. Also known as /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif lights. At this time of year all the idiots start using them and they are bloddy annoying. The name alone whould give a hint as to when to use them.

Also since you have a 2002 you can recode it so that you can turn your fog lights on while your small city bulb is on

is this a london thing??

[ QUOTE ]
Also since you have a 2002 you can recode it so that you can turn your fog lights on while your small city bulb is on

is this a london thing??

[/ QUOTE ]

In the States, the small bulb is referred to as the "city bulb". The North American spec headlights use the amber turn signal lights as "parking lights" when the headlight switch is turned to the first position.

Some people in the States turn on only their parking lights on + fogs during the dusk/dawn time when low beams are too bright. Any other time I keep my fog lights off, unless during foggy conditions.

First look at this site, seems good!

Dipped beams are hopeless on my 2000 Avant particulaly for m'way driving, main beam is OK. I've adjusted as high as they will go from inside the car, I will try some brighter bulbs for the dip; it looks as though you can just remove the covers inside the the engine bay to change the bulb.
What type and wattage is advised for the dipped beam bulb?

if you think the headlights on the A4 are poor (and mine are i have to agree) you should try driving a 2003 vectra (the wifes car) they are so poor ive had it back to the dealer a few times to try and sort it!!

I only had my 2002 A4 for a month before deciding that something had to be done with the headlights so purchased a HID kit to replace the main beam ....

WOW ... what a difference it makes, the beam pattern is still the same so it does still seem a little low but the bright white light from the HIDs really illuminate the road well, traffic signs and speed cameras appear visible from miles away now.

Now that I've found a place that is selling really good quality Korean HIDs for a reasonable price I might also swap my high beam too :) (HID main beam makes my SilverStar High beam bulbs seem yellow)

The price of HID kits does put a lot of people off, along with the thought of fitting them but my set only took an hour to fit, gives 3 times the light of a standard bulb and only uses 60% as much power !! and fingers crossed they will last the lifetime of the car.

If you want better lights then you could do worse than fitting a HID kit...

[ QUOTE ]
I only had my 2002 A4 for a month before deciding that something had to be done with the headlights so purchased a HID kit to replace the main beam ....

WOW ... what a difference it makes, the beam pattern is still the same so it does still seem a little low but the bright white light from the HIDs really illuminate the road well, traffic signs and speed cameras appear visible from miles away now.

Now that I've found a place that is selling really good quality Korean HIDs for a reasonable price I might also swap my high beam too :) (HID main beam makes my SilverStar High beam bulbs seem yellow)

The price of HID kits does put a lot of people off, along with the thought of fitting them but my set only took an hour to fit, gives 3 times the light of a standard bulb and only uses 60% as much power !! and fingers crossed they will last the lifetime of the car.

If you want better lights then you could do worse than fitting a HID kit...

[/ QUOTE ]

Which kit did you fit and how much?

I fitted a set of Pilot 6000k HIDS that I bought from a guy in Birmingham for £185.

A friend of mine is now importing them direct from the manufacturer in Korea and can sell them at about £145 (postage included) for a pair of H7s, they are 6500k (so really bright white light)

Pictures of my before and after can be found at HID Example

[ QUOTE ]
I fitted a set of Pilot 6000k HIDS that I bought from a guy in Birmingham for £185.

A friend of mine is now importing them direct from the manufacturer in Korea and can sell them at about £145 (postage included) for a pair of H7s, they are 6500k (so really bright white light)

Pictures of my before and after can be found at HID Example

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you got anymore details?

My friend has put some details about the HID kits he is selling on his personal web page [click here]

This shows a few of the cars that he has fitted the HIDs to along with a picture of the actual kit.

His email address is on the page I think so please contact him if you have any questions.

Anorien, just looking at your before/after page, very impressive.
Do they really make the road look like it's been resurfaced? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif