EM TuningMonster Motorsport
    4th Gear

Status

headlights are apaulling, is this normal

I have a 2002 tdi 130bhp and the lights are awful to say the least, is this normal? When side lights are on the only light that is lit is a bulb under the main bulb see pic 1

When normal driving lights are on (dipped lights the small light besides the large lights up aswell. see pic 2

When full beam is on only the large light is lit. pic 3

I thought that the car might of had dual filament bulbs that would of lit when on normal driving lights...

is this normal...or any ideas how to upgrade the quality of my lights, there verging on dangerous at night and i'm driving with my spots on, to give me extra lights

cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status

Re: headlights are apaulling, is this normal

You could upgrade the bulbs as the stanadard ones are not very good,

You may have a fault when switched to main beam as I think all 3 should be on in this mode, The whole road will light up when my main beam is on, i have upgraded my bulbs though.

6th Gear

Status

Even with the bulb upgrade i am not that impressed....it is better but still awful compared to other cars i have driven. Audi sort your lights out!!!!

Neutral

Status

Yep I agree. The lights on mine a crap - dimmer than a glow worm's armpit

3rd Gear

Status

I think it is the projector style lense on them, cuts out too much light for a regular halgen bulb, look nice, but doesnt do the business.

5th Gear

Status

Xenons are great! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

6th Gear

Status

Yeah rub it in mate [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

5th Gear

Status

Seriously though, I have the standard lights on my A4 and although not nearly as good, I havent found them too bad having changed the bulbs to bosche blue.
    One thing I am surprised at and will check is that you seem to indicate that your ordinary main beam goes off when on high beam?.

Controversial & Contradictive

Status

Technics100,
    Looks like you've got a fault. All 3 lights should be on when you're on full beam.

2nd Gear

Status

any idea how to change the level of the headlight?

4th Gear

Status

There is the knob inside the car beside the headlight switch, but also a 6mm plastic allen head adjuster on the headlight itself. you should be able to adjust it here. I did mine and they have improved a bit. Also changed the dip bulbs for xenon filled ones..

2nd Gear

Status

cool cheers, dont fancy needing to remove the headlights to change the bulb tho [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

6th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    cool cheers, dont fancy needing to remove the headlights to change the bulb tho [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It might look daunting but its pretty easy just take your time loosen the bottom too screws do NOT REMOVE just loosen and remove the top ones and they just slide out with a little side to side coaxing. Make sure you place something like a cloth under the light as its coming out so as not to scratch your bumper. After you do it first time you will wonder what all the fuss is about mate.

2nd Gear

Status

its just getting something to reach the bottom 2 screws

6th Gear

Status

I just use a one of those screwdrivers with the small hexagonal slot shapes and various screw bit heads which you insert at the end...with it is also an extension piece which can be used ....B&Q or and other hardware place should have them.

Try this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ges&doy=search

1st Gear

Status

If you want all the lights to turn on when you hit the high beams then you can recode your electrical control module using Vag-com.

Also since you have a 2002 you can recode it so that you can turn your fog lights on while your small city bulb is on.

imported_Macduff

[ QUOTE ]
    Also since you have a 2002 you can recode it so that you can turn your fog lights on while your small city bulb is on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fog lights. Also known as [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif[/img] lights. At this time of year all the idiots start using them and they are bloddy annoying. The name alone whould give a hint as to when to use them.

2nd Gear

Status

Also since you have a 2002 you can recode it so that you can turn your fog lights on while your small city bulb is on

is this a london thing??

1st Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Also since you have a 2002 you can recode it so that you can turn your fog lights on while your small city bulb is on

is this a london thing??

[/ QUOTE ]

In the States, the small bulb is referred to as the "city bulb". The North American spec headlights use the amber turn signal lights as "parking lights" when the headlight switch is turned to the first position.

Some people in the States turn on only their parking lights on + fogs during the dusk/dawn time when low beams are too bright. Any other time I keep my fog lights off, unless during foggy conditions.

Reverse Gear

Status

First look at this site, seems good!

Dipped beams are hopeless on my 2000 Avant particulaly for m'way driving, main beam is OK. I've adjusted as high as they will go from inside the car, I will try some brighter bulbs for the dip; it looks as though you can just remove the covers inside the the engine bay to change the bulb.
    What type and wattage is advised for the dipped beam bulb?

1st Gear

Status

if you think the headlights on the A4 are poor (and mine are i have to agree) you should try driving a 2003 vectra (the wifes car) they are so poor ive had it back to the dealer a few times to try and sort it!!

Reverse Gear

Status

I only had my 2002 A4 for a month before deciding that something had to be done with the headlights so purchased a HID kit to replace the main beam ....

WOW ... what a difference it makes, the beam pattern is still the same so it does still seem a little low but the bright white light from the HIDs really illuminate the road well, traffic signs and speed cameras appear visible from miles away now.

Now that I've found a place that is selling really good quality Korean HIDs for a reasonable price I might also swap my high beam too :-) (HID main beam makes my SilverStar High beam bulbs seem yellow)

The price of HID kits does put a lot of people off, along with the thought of fitting them but my set only took an hour to fit, gives 3 times the light of a standard bulb and only uses 60% as much power !! and fingers crossed they will last the lifetime of the car.

If you want better lights then you could do worse than fitting a HID kit...

...Watching you!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    I only had my 2002 A4 for a month before deciding that something had to be done with the headlights so purchased a HID kit to replace the main beam ....

WOW ... what a difference it makes, the beam pattern is still the same so it does still seem a little low but the bright white light from the HIDs really illuminate the road well, traffic signs and speed cameras appear visible from miles away now.

Now that I've found a place that is selling really good quality Korean HIDs for a reasonable price I might also swap my high beam too :-) (HID main beam makes my SilverStar High beam bulbs seem yellow)

The price of HID kits does put a lot of people off, along with the thought of fitting them but my set only took an hour to fit, gives 3 times the light of a standard bulb and only uses 60% as much power !! and fingers crossed they will last the lifetime of the car.

If you want better lights then you could do worse than fitting a HID kit...

[/ QUOTE ]

Which kit did you fit and how much?

Reverse Gear

Status

I fitted a set of Pilot 6000k HIDS that I bought from a guy in Birmingham for 185.

A friend of mine is now importing them direct from the manufacturer in Korea and can sell them at about 145 (postage included) for a pair of H7s, they are 6500k (so really bright white light)

Pictures of my before and after can be found at HID Example

2nd Gear

Status

i fitted the 5000k as i found the 6000k too blue

...Watching you!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    I fitted a set of Pilot 6000k HIDS that I bought from a guy in Birmingham for 185.

A friend of mine is now importing them direct from the manufacturer in Korea and can sell them at about 145 (postage included) for a pair of H7s, they are 6500k (so really bright white light)

Pictures of my before and after can be found at HID Example

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you got anymore details?

Reverse Gear

Status

My friend has put some details about the HID kits he is selling on his personal web page [click here]

This shows a few of the cars that he has fitted the HIDs to along with a picture of the actual kit.

His email address is on the page I think so please contact him if you have any questions.

Status

Anorien, just looking at your before/after page, very impressive.
    Do they really make the road look like it's been resurfaced? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img]