Calling all 1.9TDI 130PD owners!

cnut

Reaction score
Just a quick question, what RPM does your car idle at? Mine sat at 882 RPM which I thought was a bit high so I was playing around with VCDS yesterday and managed to drop this to 800 RPM. Much quieter and must surely save fuel? I could drop it lower but then it starting running lumpy. Do you think 800 RPM is okay or should I raise it again?

Cheers

Phil

10% reduction in rpm 10% of the time, (when idling) isnt likely to save a lot of fuel. But if it works for you...

Mine currently doesnt idle at all!

I wouldnt personally mess about with idle speeds. They are set at default for a reason.
You may even find that lowering the idle speed by 10% may even increase fuel consumption, as it may be easier for the engine to idle at a slightly higher speed, thus use less fuel.

Also, if you take it too low, the engine may expirience abit of difficulty when ancilleries are turned on (air con pump, alternator load.etc)

I wouldnt personally mess about with idle speeds. They are set at default for a reason.
You may even find that lowering the idle speed by 10% may even increase fuel consumption, as it may be easier for the engine to idle at a slightly higher speed, thus use less fuel.

Also, if you take it too low, the engine may expirience abit of difficulty when ancilleries are turned on (air con pump, alternator load.etc)

This and all day this ^^

Very good point, I have yet to try it with any ancillaries switched on but I suspect some lumpy running. I think I might just change it back tonight!

anything that makes it quieter on idle is good by me..... mine sounds like a ****** tank..... what settings did you alter ???

Seems like a good mod to me, eco car with eco mod :happy: would be great in stop start conditions, plus silence is bliss. No idea on any problems, was thinking it could cause acceleration issues but then thought soon as you hit the gas rpm changes same anyway, hmmmm.

anything that makes it quieter on idle is good by me..... mine sounds like a ****** tank..... what settings did you alter ???

You need to go into the Engine controller and enter Adaptation 10, Group 02. The default value is 32768 which makes mine idle at 882RPM. I knocked mine done to 32700 which made it idle at 800RPM any lower than that and it felt a bit lumpy. You might want to switch on all your ancillaries i.e Full beam, indicators, fogs, air con & fan on highest setting, radio on basically anything that will load the alternator and make sure it doesn't stall or run lumpy. I put mine back to the default setting on the advice from above but there is surely no harm in experimenting?