Volks AutosSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

Calling all 1.9TDI 130PD owners!

Just a quick question, what RPM does your car idle at? Mine sat at 882 RPM which I thought was a bit high so I was playing around with VCDS yesterday and managed to drop this to 800 RPM. Much quieter and must surely save fuel? I could drop it lower but then it starting running lumpy. Do you think 800 RPM is okay or should I raise it again?

Cheers

Phil

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    10% reduction in rpm 10% of the time, (when idling) isnt likely to save a lot of fuel. But if it works for you...

Mine currently doesnt idle at all!
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

5th Gear

Status
    I wouldnt personally mess about with idle speeds. They are set at default for a reason.
    You may even find that lowering the idle speed by 10% may even increase fuel consumption, as it may be easier for the engine to idle at a slightly higher speed, thus use less fuel.

Also, if you take it too low, the engine may expirience abit of difficulty when ancilleries are turned on (air con pump, alternator load.etc)

2002 A4 Avant Quattro Sport 2.5 V6 TDi - 219Bhp - Votex
    BCS Automotive Turbo-Back - Remap -
    19" RS6 Reps - B6 S4 Brakes - Symphony II+
    - Weitec GT
    - 2001 Honda CBR600-FS1 -

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexGSi2000 View Post
    I wouldnt personally mess about with idle speeds. They are set at default for a reason.
    You may even find that lowering the idle speed by 10% may even increase fuel consumption, as it may be easier for the engine to idle at a slightly higher speed, thus use less fuel.

Also, if you take it too low, the engine may expirience abit of difficulty when ancilleries are turned on (air con pump, alternator load.etc)
    This and all day this ^^

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexGSi2000 View Post

Very good point, I have yet to try it with any ancillaries switched on but I suspect some lumpy running. I think I might just change it back tonight!

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    My 2.5 idles at 800
    2.5tdi Avant Q S 180 - 19" RS6 reps - chrome mirrors - ambient light package - cruise and dis retrofit - chrome side repeaters - front sline lowr conversion with cupra r splitter - rear lower valance with twin cut outs and exhaust tips - rs4 rear antiroll bar - puddle and footwell lights - sline door blades - fully colour coded - b8 autodimming mirror on custom window adapter - geuine aero wiper upgrade - genuine heated mirror upgrade

5th Gear

Status
    anything that makes it quieter on idle is good by me..... mine sounds like a bloody tank..... what settings did you alter ???
    1999 A3 Quattro 1.8T Pics >>HERE
    2002 A4 Avant quattro 1.9 TDi

God Mode

Status
    Seems like a good mod to me, eco car with eco mod would be great in stop start conditions, plus silence is bliss. No idea on any problems, was thinking it could cause acceleration issues but then thought soon as you hit the gas rpm changes same anyway, hmmmm.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 666markyboy View Post
    anything that makes it quieter on idle is good by me..... mine sounds like a bloody tank..... what settings did you alter ???
    You need to go into the Engine controller and enter Adaptation 10, Group 02. The default value is 32768 which makes mine idle at 882RPM. I knocked mine done to 32700 which made it idle at 800RPM any lower than that and it felt a bit lumpy. You might want to switch on all your ancillaries i.e Full beam, indicators, fogs, air con & fan on highest setting, radio on basically anything that will load the alternator and make sure it doesn't stall or run lumpy. I put mine back to the default setting on the advice from above but there is surely no harm in experimenting?