Timing chain issues and rich code.

seany26

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've been trying for a while now to trace a ongoing rich code on my 1.8t avj, only after a longer drive did it throw up a code for camshaft over ******. So I took the rocker cover off to have a look and here is what I found, I've got 16 rollers between the notches but the notches aren't quite lining up with the marks.now I know the last roller on the exhaust is slightly offset from it's notch anyway but what's in this pic just doesn't seem ok and this may be my problem.
let me know what you think . IMAG0515

Last edited:
what engine?

It's more likely a faulty VVT unit, although i'm only counting 15 between marks. Has it been apart?

Lol, yea the engine would help, it's a 1.8t avj.
yea it has been apart.

hi pal, dont know if it helps but my sisters golf v5 recently started idling really bad and kept coming up with cam crank correlation incorrect and vcds was showing the cam always advanced, anyway after messing about i tried shocking the solenoid which advances the cam with 12v and kept working it untill it was moving really nice, took it for a drive and spot on and also vcds was showing the cam advanced where it needed to be!
all been fine since and done a flush on oil too, like i say different engines but i believe its a common things across the v5 v6 engines!

hi pal, dont know if it helps but my sisters golf v5 recently started idling really bad and kept coming up with cam crank correlation incorrect and vcds was showing the cam always advanced, anyway after messing about i tried shocking the solenoid which advances the cam with 12v and kept working it untill it was moving really nice, took it for a drive and spot on and also vcds was showing the cam advanced where it needed to be!
all been fine since and done a flush on oil too, like i say different engines but i believe its a common things across the v5 v6 engines!

That's definitely worth a try, will do it this afternoon. Could you hear the solenoid moveing more and more as you do it? Also were in vcds do I watch the cam positioning.

Thanks for the help.

hi mate, what fault code are you actually getting?
i think it was blocks 208 or 209 i was looking at and right next to it it had the reference what it should be in degrees and this engine was just stuck at 37kw, it was the n205 valve if i remember rightly and basically it allows the oil to flow different direction to advance the cam but they get gunked up and quite common on these engine but not sure about yours?
yes i heard it clicking the more and more i kept shocking it with power probe untill it was a solid loud click then swapped the feeds round and did it the other way so solenoid worked other way,first time i did it it lasted 5 mins then i spent about 20 mins shocking it working it in and out, took it for a drive and was bang on and stayed that way since and like i said ive done a flush too!
dont assume this is your fault though as i dont even know if you have the same system in your engine this was v5 but i know its a problem across the v5 v6 engines!

Yea it's the same part on mine, but not sure if it is used as widely as it is on the v5 v6 engines, have read that it's only for cold start conditions on the 1.8t. I have a new chain and tensioner/adjuster ordered. But I'm going to try what you said, as its worth a try. Thanx for the info again

This is probably stating the obvious, but did you do this with the engine off?

Hi pal, yes you do it with the engine off!
i think you can do an actuations test on it with Vcds to see if u can hear it clicking away!
think that's why I decided to shock it as I couldn't hear anything from it when I activated it.

sorry for the late reply been busy stripping the car down. yea got the fault code,
16395 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake)
P0011 - 002 - ****** Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)
come across something unusual, the camshaft sprockets have started to wear back on the teeth and have little burrs on them.imsurethis is not helping my situation!!! photos don't really do justice, some teeth are worn more than others if you look carefully. have you or anyone else ever seen this before?

IMAG06041
IMAG06031

your problem is the vvt unit faulty. DO NOT buy a generic clone cheap part, the code will come back with more likely, a rattle too

Thanks for your reply, yea I've got the tensioner and chain waiting ready to go in. Just waiting on a set of replacement cams to arrive 2moro. Just don't see how the sprocket could wear so bad, would under stand if there was a lack of oil but everything is covered in oil. Then again they do have 125000 on them and a hard life.

i'd also be getting sump off and cleaning the pick up out, they tend to clog causing low oil pressure which can also cause the issues you are having

Had the sump off back in Feb, new pump and pickup put on. Going to start a new thread to see if anyone has came across wearing camshaft sprockets before.
I didd'nt have any of the chain rattle symtptoms before I removed everything and that was the first time the tensioner code came up, it was also intermittent.
The constant code I'm getting is the running rich fault, hopefully this will sort things out!
Thanks again