Badger5EM Tuning
Results 1 to 27 of 27
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By s-line style
  • 1 Post By audilad9
  • 1 Post By Paul_A4_UK

Thread: A little grunt.

  1. #1
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    446

    A little grunt.

    Am after a little bit of growl. Not much. Will a panel filter be sufficient ie k&n or some thing?

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    deano1978's Avatar
    different gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    near brighton
    Posts
    628
    Engine?Petrol? Diesel? I think u have an audi thou...
    Thou peeps do say with k+n its a has a little more growl
    A4 avant b6.1.9 avf 6 speed. Bv43 turbo.uprated fmic. More bhp custom map. Powerflow straight through twin pipes. Allard delete kit. Boost,egt, + voltage gauges. Ball,spring boost controller. Fk silversport coilovers. 312mm brake upgrade. B7 multifunc steering wheel. Full dis. Cruise control. Auto locks. Rs4 rear bumper. Full rs4 grills. Drls + hids. 10inch custom sub + amp. Rear parking sensors. Leds everywhere. Parrotkit full speaker streaming. silver 4d carbon interior.never ending...

  4. #3
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    446
    It's a petrol 1.8t. Just a little extra grunt is what I want.

  5. #4
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Worcester, Worcestershire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    46
    Remap every time mate .... My cab was 163 from the factory the company said it gives between 35/40 bhp it's made it the car it should have been to start with better mpg as well ! Win Win

  6. #5
    Andie0's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    487
    Bsr optiflow gives a nice sound if thats what you after
    2004 audi a4 s line 1.8t bex 242bhp dynoed
    Mods: bsr optiflow kit, forge diverter valve, custom turbo back exhaust, custom 200 cell cat, DGR coilovers, forge tip, s3/tt 386cc injectors, boost gauge, revo stage 2, 12mm rear spacers, rear window extension spoiler
    To come: big brake setup... Getting there!!
    boats and hoesss, boats and hoesss

  7. #6
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    446
    Not looking an induction kits as trying to keep oem. But a remap is on cards.

  8. #7
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    446
    Where can I buy a k&n filter????

  9. #8
    bez101's Avatar
    Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,491
    k&n.com

  10. #9
    s-line style's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    co durham
    Posts
    53
    I bought a k&N panel filter for my 1.8t and give it a more beefy noise nothing ott though think mine was £38 brand new off ebay felt fitter and a tad quicker aswell as turbod cars work better with filters more than non turbo cars deffo worth investing in

  11. #10
    docurley's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    UK, London, SE
    Posts
    3,850
    K&N are more prone to cause MAF failure (oil from the K&N damages the MAF) so keep away.

    Basics to do for more power.
    1. Chip best bang for the £
    2. Sports CAT and exhaust (The right sport CAT can gain 12bhp alone then whatever the exhaust offers)
    3. FMIC (to keep that power after heat soak)
    Also look at up grading breaks at some point.
    Black Audi RS4 2006 Exclusive edition, Black optic option (stock for now)

  12. #11
    audilad9's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    257
    Never had a problem with K&N filter. Sounds loads better and has to breathe better.
    2004 B6 A4 1.9 tdi quattro sport. Ebony black pearl.
    RS6 style wheels. Black diamond drlled and grooved brakes all round, predator pads.
    K&N 57i induction. EGR delete. Custom Remap @180bhp
    S4 alu mirrors. LED lights. Ambient lighting. Factory armrest. B7 aero wiper upgrade. Team Heko wind deflectors.
    German number plates and Ingolstadt surrounds. Tinted lights.

    To do: Fit new wings. S4 brake upgrade. RS4 rarb. Decat. Tint windows.

    Just fitted 235/40/18 Dunlop Sport MAXX RT's, very good !!

  13. #12
    bez101's Avatar
    Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,491
    Quote Originally Posted by audilad9 View Post
    Never had a problem with K&N filter. Sounds loads better and has to breathe better.
    and full ov oil that ****s the maf

  14. #13
    s-line style's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    co durham
    Posts
    53
    a k&n air filter isn't exactly dripping with oil even if it had a little in the air being sucked through it would dry it out plus even if there was oil in filter it wouldn't be enough to cause damage like a said they don't come dripping in oil even a little would only stick to induction pipes ect. k&N have been around for donkeys theyre not gonna create a product that causes damage some people call it a **** make but they are pioneers imo and a well known well established brand
    BRILLO and audilad9 like this.

  15. #14
    docurley's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    UK, London, SE
    Posts
    3,850
    Quote Originally Posted by s-line style View Post
    a k&n air filter isn't exactly dripping with oil even if it had a little in the air being sucked through it would dry it out plus even if there was oil in filter it wouldn't be enough to cause damage like a said they don't come dripping in oil even a little would only stick to induction pipes ect. k&N have been around for donkeys theyre not gonna create a product that causes damage some people call it a **** make but they are pioneers imo and a well known well established brand
    In general I would agree but if you search there had been loads of issues with them in the past but maybe that's been resolved but when it may become an issue is when you clean them and have to oil them again for use, the chances are they may get over oiled and there goes your MAF.

    The thing is there have been no proven gains to be had from air filters on our cars hence why no one fits them other than for sound or looks if going for a cone filter which in its own right will give you losses then gains. The only time you would fit a cone filter is if going for big turbo and then the OEM unit will not fit due to the larger turbo.

    The only air filter I ever fitted to a Audi was my first 2.8 Supercharged A4 and then I fitted a BMC unit to it which was noted for the power gains it gave.
    Black Audi RS4 2006 Exclusive edition, Black optic option (stock for now)

  16. #15
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    306
    If you want noise get an open filter tbf a panel filter does nothing for noise or very little just fitted a green cotton filter and sounds very very similar to how it did before

  17. #16
    audilad9's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    257
    Bez has this happened to you ? Not me and I have used K&N for 17 years and never had a problem. My AVF 1.9 has had their cone filter on for over 40k miles and I've cleaned and re oiled a couple of times.
    I think it sounds great, you fairly hear the turbo and the boost being released when lifting off the throttle. Some may say it sounds like a tractor, but I like it.
    Darkside developments sell a paper cone filter if you don't trust yourself to clean and oil a K&N properly.
    I fail to see how a cone filter with improved breathability developed by a long established and world renowned company, a cold air feed and a good turbo/engine heatshield can give a loss in performance compared to the factory box.
    B-J-P likes this.
    2004 B6 A4 1.9 tdi quattro sport. Ebony black pearl.
    RS6 style wheels. Black diamond drlled and grooved brakes all round, predator pads.
    K&N 57i induction. EGR delete. Custom Remap @180bhp
    S4 alu mirrors. LED lights. Ambient lighting. Factory armrest. B7 aero wiper upgrade. Team Heko wind deflectors.
    German number plates and Ingolstadt surrounds. Tinted lights.

    To do: Fit new wings. S4 brake upgrade. RS4 rarb. Decat. Tint windows.

    Just fitted 235/40/18 Dunlop Sport MAXX RT's, very good !!

  18. #17
    bez101's Avatar
    Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,491
    put it on a RR you will see the non gains

  19. #18
    Andie0's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    487
    Many peeps on here say stay away from cone filter but my bsr kit works great and i actually got a higher rr figure than most on here with the same mods! Some people have good experience some have bad, luck of the draw!
    2004 audi a4 s line 1.8t bex 242bhp dynoed
    Mods: bsr optiflow kit, forge diverter valve, custom turbo back exhaust, custom 200 cell cat, DGR coilovers, forge tip, s3/tt 386cc injectors, boost gauge, revo stage 2, 12mm rear spacers, rear window extension spoiler
    To come: big brake setup... Getting there!!
    boats and hoesss, boats and hoesss

  20. #19
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by docurley View Post
    K&N are more prone to cause MAF failure (oil from the K&N damages the MAF) so keep away.

    Basics to do for more power.
    1. Chip best bang for the £
    2. Sports CAT and exhaust (The right sport CAT can gain 12bhp alone then whatever the exhaust offers)
    3. FMIC (to keep that power after heat soak)
    Also look at up grading breaks at some point.
    Unless you're going 300bhp+ then I wouldn't bother with a FMIC. In fact, a FMIC can cause a slight loss in power in lower powered cars. Plus they generally look quite chavvy.

    The best initial investment should be on chassis and braking:

    1. Get an RS4 ARB fitted - will massively improve cornering.
    2. Bilstein B12 kit
    3. Uprated brakes (3.0 / S4 / Big Brake Kit)

    4. Then get a remap (R-Tech: ECU Remapping, Performance Engine Tuning, R-tech are one of the best, or Unicorn: Unicorn Motor Developments, Custom Remapping and ECU Services Stockport)

    5. After that I'd look at other engine mods like a sports (high-flow) cat and full exhaust system - Milltek for off the shelf, or have a look at Style Dynamics: Custom stainless steel exhaust systems for a good quality custom system.

    Oli

  21. #20
    docurley's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    UK, London, SE
    Posts
    3,850
    True FMIC can lower power but it will allow you to maintain that power for longer by preventing heat soak which will drop way more once the engine is heat soaked........ Pro's and Cons.

    Also you could look at a DSMIC from the S-Line model if you can find one cheap also the 2.0T brakes are another good upgrade kit for cheap money not forgetting the B5 RS4 front brake setup which when on my old B5 was amazining and only £20-£25 for brake pads
    Black Audi RS4 2006 Exclusive edition, Black optic option (stock for now)

  22. #21
    SmoothAssault's Avatar
    Will design for mods

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    790
    Quote Originally Posted by docurley View Post
    was amazining and only £20-£25 for brake pads
    Yea, but £250 each for the discs! lol, that hurt my wallet pretty bad. Red Stuff pads are £95 too. Next time I'm due new discs I'm having some made so I can reuse the bells in future.

    I've got the DSMIC in mine, someone asked if I'd thought about switching to one big ol' front mount one, would this be worth doing?

    FOR SALE: Eibach Sportline Springs from B5 A4. £50 - PM for details.

  23. #22
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBaaaad View Post
    Unless you're going 300bhp+ then I wouldn't bother with a FMIC. In fact, a FMIC can cause a slight loss in power in lower powered cars. Plus they generally look quite chavvy.

    The best initial investment should be on chassis and braking:

    1. Get an RS4 ARB fitted - will massively improve cornering.
    2. Bilstein B12 kit
    3. Uprated brakes (3.0 / S4 / Big Brake Kit)

    4. Then get a remap (R-Tech: ECU Remapping, Performance Engine Tuning, R-tech are one of the best, or Unicorn: Unicorn Motor Developments, Custom Remapping and ECU Services Stockport)

    5. After that I'd look at other engine mods like a sports (high-flow) cat and full exhaust system - Milltek for off the shelf, or have a look at Style Dynamics: Custom stainless steel exhaust systems for a good quality custom system.

    Oli
    I do agree with your list though one thing you have to remember is that not everyone is going to be blasting round a track lap after lap after lap. If that is the case then yes I'd say properly sorting your suspension and brakes is a key upgrade to withstand the torture a track will throw at it. For the average road road user though they just want a bit more oomph to accelerate a bit quicker, make faster overtakes etc. In general they wont corner any harder than previously just because they have had a remap.

    For joe public I'd say a simple brake pad upgrade to the likes of Ferodo DS2500 pads, using higher boiling point brake fluid and a remap seeing up to 230hp will work just fine. If however you do like cornering rather hard then yes the suspension modifications would be worthwhile. Just my thoughts though.

    Sadly stockport is a very long way from me and star is even further so I'm looking into either an APR stage 1+ map (Unsure if my ECU is compatible with APR though) or Revo stage 1. I've read that the APR map is more progressive and has a larger area under the power curve which to me suggests it is the better of the two and less stressful on the mechanical components than the Revo.

  24. #23
    Revo Steve-W's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Daventry, Northampton
    Posts
    205

    My Social Networking

    Add Revo Steve-W on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by vwgtiking View Post
    Where can I buy a k&n filter????

    You can also look at Revo filters here -

    STaSIS Revo Performance Online Shop. Revo Technik

  25. #24
    Revo Steve-W's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Daventry, Northampton
    Posts
    205

    My Social Networking

    Add Revo Steve-W on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_A4_UK View Post
    I do agree with your list though one thing you have to remember is that not everyone is going to be blasting round a track lap after lap after lap. If that is the case then yes I'd say properly sorting your suspension and brakes is a key upgrade to withstand the torture a track will throw at it. For the average road road user though they just want a bit more oomph to accelerate a bit quicker, make faster overtakes etc. In general they wont corner any harder than previously just because they have had a remap.

    For joe public I'd say a simple brake pad upgrade to the likes of Ferodo DS2500 pads, using higher boiling point brake fluid and a remap seeing up to 230hp will work just fine. If however you do like cornering rather hard then yes the suspension modifications would be worthwhile. Just my thoughts though.

    Sadly stockport is a very long way from me and star is even further so I'm looking into either an APR stage 1+ map (Unsure if my ECU is compatible with APR though) or Revo stage 1. I've read that the APR map is more progressive and has a larger area under the power curve which to me suggests it is the better of the two and less stressful on the mechanical components than the Revo.

    Give Regal a shout, these guys have been in the business for years and are in your area, as I'm sure you know - Regal Autosport

  26. #25
    Revo Steve-W's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Daventry, Northampton
    Posts
    205

    My Social Networking

    Add Revo Steve-W on Facebook
    20% discount on all Revo software currently. See website for nearest dealer and power gains - Stage 1 Software
    Attached Images Attached Images

  27. #26
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    100
    Is the discount still going Steve and is the site price discounted or am I to expect 20% off of the £299+VAT mentioned on the revo site?
    Revo Steve-W likes this.

  28. #27
    Revo Steve-W's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Daventry, Northampton
    Posts
    205

    My Social Networking

    Add Revo Steve-W on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_A4_UK View Post
    Is the discount still going Steve and is the site price discounted or am I to expect 20% off of the £299+VAT mentioned on the revo site?
    Hi Paul,

    If getting prices from our main site, then no they're not showing discount individually, as would take too long to go through all the software we offer. so take the 20% off £299, then add the 20% VAT, so in this case if map is £299 - £287.04 inc (not the school boy error everyone keeps making, thinking £299 - 20% inc VAT is £299! lol)

    The boys at Regal are your local dealers and have many many years experience -
    | Regal Autosport


    SALE ENDS 18th August!!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Little bit weird question 0-100km
    By edwin98 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 21st May 2008, 15:32
  2. Is my TDI a little heavy on juice?
    By Irish in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22nd April 2004, 13:56
  3. Little advise please with my A4 Avant ICE Install
    By bahnstormer in forum In-Car Entertainment
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18th March 2004, 19:17
  4. Little mo has arrived
    By tanand in forum The Welcome Section
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24th December 2003, 02:02
  5. Little bit afraid
    By edwin98 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 1st July 2003, 09:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO