Brake Discs Please

czm

Reaction score
Hi
I need to replace my front discs/pads on my A4 Avant 1.8t BEX190

I beleive looking at the log book codes it has the 312mm discs atm.

I would like to replace with slotted/vented ones if possible but am struggling to find someone selling well priced options.

Could somebody point me in the right direction.

Thanks

I would like to know this too for a TDI
About to do the 312mm carrier upgrade, Ive seen a A3 brake guide that says its the pads that are worth spending the money on
and any 312mm disc is good enough unless you track day it a lot

I played with drilled / grooved disks on my last car. Personally I'd avoid drilled discs from now on. When used in lots of anger cracks will begin to appear starting at the drilled holes. I believe on supercars and the likes the holes are actually cast into the disk thus they don't get this problem. Grooved disks would be my preference over drilled as they will sweep the pad and should help prevent pad glaze. They will eat your pads a lot quicker than a smooth disk however.

For road use I found brembo front disks (smooth) and Ferodo DS2500 pads were an awesome combination. You might want to put higher boiling temp brake fluid into the system too. If you get these pads ensure you bed them in as per the instructions, that is heat cycling them. This is why you will require the brake fluid too. I'd really say the drilled / grooved disks for us road users are more for looks than anything. They will help to dissipate heat a little better due to the extra exposed surface area but unless you're doing trackdays I think it is overkill. The pads however will be what give you the better braking power overall IMO. A set of DS2500's is on my list of to do's for my A4.

Well its mostly for looks tbh.

I just cant seem to find any apart from the Black Diamond ones which are stupid money!

I had Tarox ones on my Pug, but they did die on track. They were a little worn down before doing the trackday though which didn't help. They were'nt cheap for the pug, about £330 or somewhere near that, and they are slightly smaller in diameter! Sadly you have to pay a bit for the fancier looking stuff. Myself I rather go more for performance enhancing mods :)

I can't comment on that I'm afraid. I'm pretty new to Audi ownership and havent' delved into all the sizes / part numbers yet. You'd be best off firing Mtec an email for donfirmation before hitting the buy button. You have it in black and white then so if they do send you ones that don't fit at least you will be able to claim back return shipment (brake discs are not light!).

Go to brembo sitw they do the brembo max disc which are decent priced and then get some ds2500 pads will be sikkkk

For normal day to day use Pagid are hard to beat, & briskoda 25% discount at ECP helps.. Don't know if ASN has a similar arrangement with ECP??
Personally I wouldn't go for drilled/slotted discs again. I fitted EBC discs & green stuff pads on a mkiv Anniversary 1.8T once & wasn't impressed. Pads wore down really fast & small & eventually cracks started to appear around the drilled holes.

Give them a go by all means, but as Paul stated previously, I have also been there and tried that on previous cars.
In a nutshell I found solid discs with decent pads (DS2500's) were much better than the same pads with drilled/grooved discs throughout the complete heat range - they also lasted longer aswell.