Badger5EM Tuning
    1st Gear

Status

Unhappy 2.5 v6 quattro gearbox noice - pinion mybe ?

hi folks

I am had my car for 3 good years now & I love it to bits, however I had 4 wheel bearings replaced the other month & now I have a noise from 15 mph to 80mph & it looks like the gearbox pinion might be at fault what ever that is.

because I have been to my local garage who I thrust & he is looking in to some prices now for me, so can you folks out me out on this one please, like what is that part & how much might I be looking at ? & what needs to be replaced also & I am gutted so if there anyone around stoke on trent or the Bromsgrove area who knows of a TOP place to go too just in case my local garage can not do the job for any reason.

many thanks

Kenny
    2004 AUDI A4 2496 cc 2.5 TDI 180 Quattro Sport
    Metallic Silver, RNS-E Audi dvd Sat Nav ( 2010 dvd disk ) + muti CD Player, Parrot ls3200 Bluetooth Phone kit, 6 Speed, 4 Electric Windows, Electric Mirrors ( not elec folding ), Cruise Control, Nice Alloy Wheels, Colour DIS, Colour Keyed Body, Full audi Service History, Maintained Regardless Of Cost, Tinted Windows, Aero Wipers, inside red light kit ( audi ) + Puddle lights & Footwell light too, HID's.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    well a quick update the car is in now for £795 ! for this job as it is a pain to do as the gearbox needs to be fully removed along with some other parts too plus the clutch will be looked at also just in case.
    & I heard the noise more under the car as the mech had my car on some post ramps up in the air & started it to 40 mph so he could show me where the noise was from & how bad it sounded & it 99.9 pointed to the pinion part in the box.

oh dear but I know the mech will sort it out along with the gearbox repair place as they said they see a lot of these to sort out ! so it looks like a weak dear part from audi or who ever makes the parts for audi that is, more money spent but the car is worth it.
    Metallic Silver, RNS-E Audi dvd Sat Nav ( 2010 dvd disk ) + muti CD Player, Parrot ls3200 Bluetooth Phone kit, 6 Speed, 4 Electric Windows, Electric Mirrors ( not elec folding ), Cruise Control, Nice Alloy Wheels, Colour DIS, Colour Keyed Body, Full audi Service History, Maintained Regardless Of Cost, Tinted Windows, Aero Wipers, inside red light kit ( audi ) + Puddle lights & Footwell light too, HID's.

5th Gear

Status
    Good luck, let us know how you get on.

2002 A4 Avant Quattro Sport 2.5 V6 TDi - 219Bhp - Votex
    BCS Automotive Turbo-Back - Remap -
    19" RS6 Reps - B6 S4 Brakes - Symphony II+
    - Weitec GT
    - 2001 Honda CBR600-FS1 -

1st Gear

Status
    will do & cheers but it might not be done till thurs or fri to help with the costs....

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    This is interesting, I have an intermittent noise from mine. It's been on and off for the last three years probably. It's been a lot better of late, and it's hard to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from, or situations where it's worse.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

1st Gear

Status
    see if you can get the car on some ramps & look under it near the front gearbox & the rear off it with some one driving it well siting in it & taking the car up to about 40mph safe on the ramps as you should be able to hear it.

also they did a video of them doing that for me so I will get a copy & host it on here as the noise was bad sounding when I went close to the gear box & then I knew it was that pinion thingy bearing part plus the gear box \ clutch folks said it can not be anything else as they do them now all most every month on Audis & vag cars...... all miles & age too so it looks like a common fault or a weak part what is dear to do as it is a sort of a big job to do for a cheapish £100 or so part ! due to what you have to remove from the car & then the work on the gearbox is about £300 ! so with labour it is a nasty £750 for me to pay.

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Ok thanks, I'm tempted to bury my head a bit longer as I haven't really got £750 knocking about!
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

1st Gear

Status
    tell me a bout it as I had to borrow some from my folks, not happy but it needs doing as I work for my self so I need my car so needs must I guess for me.

1st Gear

Status
    well folks the car is still in & the mech said the gearbox folks had to replace 3 bearings now & also the clutch release bearing needed replacing too so it looks like it might cost me more now, so gutted about this as the car is mint I thought & now my funds are so bloody low it is killing my bank funds ( what are left that is ! ).

however as anyone got a photo or a parts diagram I can see so I can see the parts in side the gearbox ? & how much might the release bearing be for the clutch ? as I have a sinking feeling now.... .

cheers folks.

1st Gear

Status
    well folks the car is all done & wow it feels smooth & nice to drive so far ( oly done 15 miles ) but I think it is going to be ok....

I paid £895 all in as the gearbox is from a poker \ rs4 well most of the inside parts are ! so they quoted me a wrong price as it should have been a bit more, however they cut it down for me as I said my money was low as it was & they said sorry for the wrong quote & they told me to pay just a bit more for a clutch release bearing so I will deal with them more for saying that as they have done a cracking job so a massive thank you to the garage & a thank you to the gearbox folks too.

also the places are next door to each other at Redditch area so if you want any work done I will pass on there details to you.....