2.5 v6 quattro gearbox noice - pinion mybe ?

subaru swift

Reaction score
hi folks

I am had my car for 3 good years now & I love it to bits, however I had 4 wheel bearings replaced the other month & now I have a noise from 15 mph to 80mph & it looks like the gearbox pinion might be at fault what ever that is.

because I have been to my local garage who I thrust & he is looking in to some prices now for me, so can you folks out me out on this one please, like what is that part & how much might I be looking at ? & what needs to be replaced also & I am gutted so if there anyone around stoke on trent or the Bromsgrove area who knows of a TOP place to go too just in case my local garage can not do the job for any reason.

many thanks

Kenny

well a quick update the car is in now for £795 ! for this job as it is a pain to do as the gearbox needs to be fully removed along with some other parts too plus the clutch will be looked at also just in case.
& I heard the noise more under the car as the mech had my car on some post ramps up in the air & started it to 40 mph so he could show me where the noise was from & how bad it sounded & it 99.9 pointed to the pinion part in the box.

oh dear but I know the mech will sort it out along with the gearbox repair place as they said they see a lot of these to sort out ! so it looks like a weak dear part from audi or who ever makes the parts for audi that is, more money spent but the car is worth it.

This is interesting, I have an intermittent noise from mine. It's been on and off for the last three years probably. It's been a lot better of late, and it's hard to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from, or situations where it's worse.

see if you can get the car on some ramps & look under it near the front gearbox & the rear off it with some one driving it well siting in it & taking the car up to about 40mph safe on the ramps as you should be able to hear it.

also they did a video of them doing that for me so I will get a copy & host it on here as the noise was bad sounding when I went close to the gear box & then I knew it was that pinion thingy bearing part :( plus the gear box \ clutch folks said it can not be anything else as they do them now all most every month on Audis & vag cars...... all miles & age too so it looks like a common fault or a weak part what is dear to do as it is a sort of a big job to do for a cheapish £100 or so part ! due to what you have to remove from the car & then the work on the gearbox is about £300 ! so with labour it is a nasty £750 for me to pay.

Ok thanks, I'm tempted to bury my head a bit longer as I haven't really got £750 knocking about!

well folks the car is still in & the mech said the gearbox folks had to replace 3 bearings now & also the clutch release bearing needed replacing too so it looks like it might cost me more now, so gutted about this as the car is mint I thought & now my funds are so ****** low it is killing my bank funds ( what are left that is ! ).

however as anyone got a photo or a parts diagram I can see so I can see the parts in side the gearbox ? & how much might the release bearing be for the clutch ? as I have a sinking feeling now.... .

cheers folks.

well folks the car is all done & wow it feels smooth & nice to drive so far ( oly done 15 miles ) but I think it is going to be ok....

I paid £895 all in as the gearbox is from a poker \ rs4 well most of the inside parts are ! so they quoted me a wrong price as it should have been a bit more, however they cut it down for me as I said my money was low as it was & they said sorry for the wrong quote & they told me to pay just a bit more for a clutch release bearing so I will deal with them more for saying that as they have done a cracking job so a massive thank you to the garage & a thank you to the gearbox folks too.

also the places are next door to each other at Redditch area so if you want any work done I will pass on there details to you.....