Clutch master cylinder rod snapped

Ers_GTTDi

Reaction score
Hi all,

Wondered if any of you would have any ideas why the rod that connects the clutch pedal to the master cylinder snapped?

I have a 2002 A4 1.9 tdi, and prior to the rod snapping there was slack in the clutch pedal where the 1st 1/4 of the pedal did nothing, once you passed this slack you could feel the clutch pedal working. I thought this slack was down to a dodgy master cylinder and was on the list of things to change.

Then on Friday the rod snapped and the clutch pedal hit the floor. I've had a quick look at the rod looks like it was under some strain as it looks as if its bent.

I've had the car about a year now and has had a number of niggling issues but all seem to have come down to blocked plenum chamber grommets. I unblocked them as soon as I got the car as it was like a lake under there.

My initial thought was that the clutch pressure plate has gone for the bar to bend and snap like that, but before it snapped the clutch wasn't that hard. Compared to my Golf it was harder but I don't think it was hard enough to bend the rod.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any other ideas what could have caused it?

Cheers