Speaker upgrades

DALE_AVANT

Reaction score
I know there is an ICE forum, but you guys will know A4 specifics.........

What standard are the non-Bose speakers?

My Sport has the subwoofer/extra tweeters etc, but could they be upgraded relatively cheaply given that they are now over 10 years old?

And could the standard head unit support better quality speakers?

I don't necessarily want much louder, just an upgrade in sound quality maybe. I have the standard Chorus head unit with 6CD changer

To add to my own thread, having done a search, it seems as though disconnecting the front centre speaker in the dashboard is as good a start as any as it is apparently tuned for treble/vocal and is therefore not a good allrounder

Just been out to test the above theory by covering the front speaker with a cushion. I think it sounds pretty good WITH the front speaker (house music).

That said, my drivers door speakers are currently not working so maybe the front centre is taking the drivers door speaker's workload?

the standard centre speaker isnt tuned for treble , its for being able to reproduce the human voice
i wouldnt worry about this one

the standard speakers and the bose ones are simple doped paper with butyl rubber surrounds
the speakers themselves will actually stand being on the end of a better amplifier instead of being ran off the headunit or the audi amplifier
changing the speakers to good component speakers will also reap rewards
the crossovers on the standard set ups are simple cheap first order high pass designs
sound deadening the doors properly will improve the sound quality and also help reduce road noise

Thanks for the info :happy:

What are the chief differences between the single-din Chorus and Concert OEM headunits?